Frictionless pulley system: same tension changing masses

In summary, the question asks what maximum amount of mass can be added to one bucket while holding the other bucket with a certain tension, without breaking the rope. The first case with 24 kg in both buckets results in a net force of 0, while the second case with 18 kg and 24 kg in the buckets results in a net force of 6g'. Using the acceleration formula and equating the two net forces, the maximum mass that can be added is 3.26g'. However, the value of g' cannot be calculated without knowing the mass of the astronaut, which is not given in the question.
rahrahrah1

Homework Statement

An astronaut lands on a distant planet with an unknown gravitational field g’. On the bottom of his spaceship, he attaches an ideal frictionless pulley supported overhead with two light buckets hanging downwards, attached by a light rope. He places 24 kg of the same rock type in both buckets and removes his hand, the rope is stressed to its limit; any increase in tension would break the rope. He now removes 6kg from one bucket, but holds on to prevent motion. What maximum amount may he add to the other bucket so that the same limiting tension will be present in the rope when he removes his hand?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this question has given me much grief, and this is pretty much the progress I made.

In the first case, when there is 24 kg in both buckets,
Fnet = 0 because the two buckets would not move so,
Fg= T

In the second case, with the 18kg and 24 kg buckets
18kg: Fnet = T-Fg
24kg: Fnet = Fg- T

I know the fg = (g’)(mass)

18kg: Fnet = T-18g’
24kg: Fnet = 24g’ –T

This is where my answer gets a bit weird. I know that by adding mass to the 24kg bucket, it should accelerate downwards.

A= (T-18g’)/18
A=(24g’-T)/24

(T-18g’)/18 = (24g’-T)/24
24T-432g’ = 432g’-18T
42T = 864g’
T= 20.6 g’

So then do I plug 20.6g’ into the acceleration formula for T and use the calculated acceleration and Fnet=ma to get mass?

If I do that my acceleration is 0.14g’ and subbing into Fnet gives me a mass of 3.26g’. but how do I calculate g’?

Physics news on Phys.org
i know that I can't actually include 24 in my problem as the mass is changing so do I replace 24 with m? and then have my g' cancel at some point?

1. How does a frictionless pulley system work?

A frictionless pulley system is a setup where a pulley is attached to a fixed point and a rope or string is passed over it. The two ends of the rope are attached to different objects, which may have different masses. When one object is pulled down, the other object is pulled up with the same force, creating motion. The lack of friction in the pulley allows for a smooth transfer of tension and motion between the two objects.

2. Does the tension in a frictionless pulley system change?

Yes, the tension in a frictionless pulley system changes depending on the masses of the two objects attached to it. The tension is equal in both sides of the rope and is determined by the amount of force applied to one side of the rope.

3. How does the mass of the objects affect the tension in a frictionless pulley system?

The mass of the objects has a direct effect on the tension in a frictionless pulley system. The heavier the objects, the greater the tension in the rope. This is because a greater force is required to move the heavier objects, resulting in an increase in tension in the rope.

4. Is the tension the same on both sides of a frictionless pulley?

Yes, the tension is always the same on both sides of a frictionless pulley. This is due to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In a frictionless pulley system, the tension in the rope is the same on both sides because energy is conserved and transferred evenly.

5. Can a frictionless pulley system be used to lift objects of any weight?

No, a frictionless pulley system has its limitations and cannot lift objects of unlimited weight. The tension in the rope can only support objects up to a certain amount of weight before it becomes too much and the rope breaks. Additionally, the fixed point where the pulley is attached also has a weight limit that must be considered.