1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frobenius method for a differential equations

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function satisfies the differential equation f''(x) = xf(x) and has boundary conditions

f(0) = 1 and f'(0) = 1

Use Frobenius method to solve for f(x) with a taylor expansion of f(x) up to the quartic term a4x4

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + a4x4

f'(x) = a1 + 2a2x + 3a3x2 + 4a4x3

f'(x) = 2a2 + 6a3x + 12a4x2

3. The attempt at a solution

What I have done so far is set the differential equation to zero and applied the series to f''(x) and xf(x) which gave an series of a0x + a1x2 + a2(x3 +2) + a3(x4 + 6x) + a4(x5 + 12x2) = 0. I then set up equations for each power of x which is equal to zero. From the x powers I get a2 = 0, a3 = -a0/6, and a4 = -a4/12. Applying the boundary conditions shows that a0 = 1 and a1 = 1. When I use the values in the equation, the fractions within each power of x cancels each other out and you are left with no series and just a trivial statement of 0 = 0. What am I doing wrong in trying to find a series that describes the function produced by the differential equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hard to say where your error is without seeing more steps. I get results like yours but without the minus signs. I get ##a_0 = 1,\, a_1 = 1,\, a_2 = 0,\, a_3= 1/6,\, a_4=1/12## so either you or I have signs wrong. But either way, that won't give you a zero series when you put them in ##f(x) = a_0+a_1x +a_2x^2+a_3x^3+a_4x^4##.

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    Well, for example when I do the powers for x, I get the equations

x0: 2a2 = 0 → a2 = 0
    x1: a0 + 6a3 =0 → a3 = -a0/6 = -1/6
    x0: a1 + 12a4 = 0 → a4 = -a1/12 = -1/12

So when you get the values for the ai constants, you are suppose to apply them to the series for f(x) and not the differential equation? I think my problem is that I applied it to the differential equation and got a series such as:

2a2 + x(a0 + 6a3) +x2(a1+12a4 ) +...

where each fraction in each x power cancels out, whereas they wont if I just apply them to the series for f(x).

For the series f(x), I get 1 + x - (1/6)x3 - (1/12)x4

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I still think you have the minus signs wrong. Remember your equation is ##f''(x) - xf(x)=0##, with a minus sign there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook