Frobenius method non-polynomial coeficients.

In summary, the problem asks for the first 3 terms of two independent series solutions for the DE xy''+2xy'+(6e^x)y=0, using the Frobenius method with a regular singular point at 0. The Attempt at a Solution involved finding the indicial equation and roots, differentiating the Frobenius series, and plugging everything into the DE with changed coefficients. However, since the problem only asks for the first three terms, there is no need to find a recurrence relation. Simply keeping enough terms will allow for solving for a0, a1, and a2.
bp_psy

Homework Statement

Find the first 3 terms of two independent series solution for the DE.

xy''+2xy'+(6e^x)y=0

Homework Equations

Frobenius method. case r1-r2=integer

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that 0 is a regular singular point. I found the indicial equation and found the roots.I then differentiate the Frobenius series and plug everything in the DE. After changing the coefficients I get

[tex]r(r-1)a_{0}+\sum(n+r)(n+r-1)a_{n}x^{n+r-1}+\sum((2(n+r-1))a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1}+6e^{x}(\sum(a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1} )=0[/tex]
or
[tex]r(r-1)a_{0}+\sum(n+r)(n+r-1)a_{n}x^{n+r-1}+\sum((2(n+r-1))a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1}+6(1+\sum(\frac{x^n}{n!}))(\sum(a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1} )=0[/tex]
with all the summations starting at 1. My problem is that I have no clue how to find a recurrence relations from this.Do I really have to multiply the last two series and hope for some miracle or there is some other way. My books show no examples of series solutions to this kinds of problems only ones with polynomial coefficients.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem is only asking for the first three terms of the solutions, you don't need to find the recurrence relation. Just keep enough terms to solve for a0, a1, and a2.

vela said:
Since the problem is only asking for the first three terms of the solutions, you don't need to find the recurrence relation. Just keep enough terms to solve for a0, a1, and a2.

Yes that works. Thank you.

1. What is the Frobenius method for solving differential equations with non-polynomial coefficients?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to find a power series solution for a differential equation with non-polynomial coefficients. It involves assuming a series solution in terms of a variable x and then using the coefficients of the series to solve for the unknown function.

2. When is the Frobenius method applicable for solving differential equations?

The Frobenius method is applicable for solving differential equations when the coefficients are non-polynomial and the equation has a regular singular point. A regular singular point is a point where the coefficients of the differential equation become infinite or zero.

3. How do you determine the convergence of the Frobenius series solution?

The convergence of the Frobenius series solution can be determined by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges.

4. Can the Frobenius method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the Frobenius method is only applicable for linear differential equations with non-polynomial coefficients. It cannot be used for non-linear equations or equations with polynomial coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Frobenius method?

One limitation of the Frobenius method is that it can only be used to find a single solution to a differential equation. It also requires a lot of calculations and can become complicated for higher order differential equations. Additionally, the series solution may not always converge, making it necessary to use other methods for finding a solution.