1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frobenius method non-polynomial coeficients.

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first 3 terms of two independent series solution for the DE.

2. Relevant equations
    Frobenius method. case r1-r2=integer

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found that 0 is a regular singular point. I found the indicial equation and found the roots.I then differentiate the Frobenius series and plug everything in the DE. After changing the coefficients I get

[tex]r(r-1)a_{0}+\sum(n+r)(n+r-1)a_{n}x^{n+r-1}+\sum((2(n+r-1))a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1}+6e^{x}(\sum(a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1} )=0[/tex]
    [tex]r(r-1)a_{0}+\sum(n+r)(n+r-1)a_{n}x^{n+r-1}+\sum((2(n+r-1))a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1}+6(1+\sum(\frac{x^n}{n!}))(\sum(a_{n-1}x^{n+r-1} )=0[/tex]
    with all the summations starting at 1. My problem is that I have no clue how to find a recurrence relations from this.Do I really have to multiply the last two series and hope for some miracle or there is some other way. My books show no examples of series solutions to this kinds of problems only ones with polynomial coefficients.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since the problem is only asking for the first three terms of the solutions, you don't need to find the recurrence relation. Just keep enough terms to solve for a0, a1, and a2.
  4. Aug 5, 2010 #3
    Yes that works. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook