1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From BS in different area to EE - MSEE or BSEE

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I have a bachelors degree in microbiology, but now would like to become an electrical engineer. However I'm concerned about what employers will think with a MSEE vs a BSEE?

With the MS I'll have the degree but less background (I will have to take deficiencies though). With the BS I'll have the background but will just have a second bachelors rather than a masters?

What do you guys think? MSEE vs BSEE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    I'm in a similar boat.

4. Jun 14, 2013 #3
    I'm a physics grad who has considered going back for EE. I spoke with an adviser at the university about what options I had. In the end I concluded that a BSEE would be cheaper, would not need deficiencies and would be just as if not more marketable. In the physics-type job areas I apply too, a BSEE is required for many positions.

For now I have been taking some classes at the community college just to keep my loans in forbearance and get the tax credits for being a student. But this fall I may go for the BSEE full time.

5. Jun 14, 2013 #4
    If you can get into an MS program in EE do it. It is fast becoming a requirement for a lot of EE jobs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook