From BSc in Computer Science to MSc in Physics and

In summary, the individual's motivation for switching from computer science to physics was their interest in fundamental principles and desire for a new challenge. They faced challenges in developing their math skills and adjusting to the more theoretical nature of physics. Their background in computer science has aided their studies in physics through problem-solving and adaptability. They recommend researching both fields and seeking guidance before making a similar switch. Their career goals after completing their MSc in physics include pursuing a career in quantum computing research and development.
eminem.mosh
hi guys

I completed my computer science degree from http://www.staffs.ac.uk/" [Broken] with a First Class honours. I figured out that my true passion lies mainly with Physics :(

Can I do an MSc in Physics or any related physics specialization (such as Glaciology, Cosmology)?

I am planning to pursue my masters in Canada.

Thanks and Regards
Mosh

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can, but it'll be very hard without taking a couple years of undergraduate physics courses. A program would probably even require you to take them before allowing you in.

1. What motivated you to switch from computer science to physics?

I have always been interested in both fields, but I found myself more drawn to the fundamental principles and theories of physics. I wanted to challenge myself and explore a new area of science.

2. Did you face any challenges during the transition?

Yes, there were certainly challenges. Physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, which I had to work on developing. Additionally, the coursework and research in physics are more theoretical and conceptual compared to the more applied nature of computer science.

3. How does your background in computer science benefit your studies in physics?

My background in computer science has given me a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are essential skills in physics. It has also allowed me to quickly adapt to new software and programming languages used in physics research.

4. What advice would you give to someone considering a similar switch?

I would advise them to carefully research the different fields and determine their interests and strengths. It is also important to be open-minded and willing to put in the effort to learn new concepts and skills. Seek guidance from professors and peers in both fields to gain a better understanding of the transition.

5. What are your career goals after completing your MSc in physics?

I am interested in pursuing a career in research and development in the field of quantum computing. I believe that my background in computer science and my MSc in physics will provide a strong foundation for this career path.