1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From ECE to Plasma Physics/Fusion Tech?

  1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    I am currently doing my undergrad in electrical engineering and hope to specialize in power at the end of it. In short I am fascinated with energy and confronting the problem of the global energy crisis

    Is it possible to switch from ece into r and d of fusion technology? I would love to get a PhD in plasma physics.

    I have been specifically looking at University of Wisconsin which has a focus on fusion tech and applied physics rather than just experimental plasma physics.

    Would I not be accepted due to my discipline since I am not formally taught in plasmas/nuclear physics in undergrad?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2
    UW-Madison's Electrical Engineering department does plasma fusion research:

    http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ece/ece-research-priorities-energy.html [Broken]

    So do some faculty at University of Washington


    And the University of Michigan:


    http://www-applied.physics.lsa.umich.edu/ [Broken]

    Though most people come from physics, nuclear or aerospace engineering, some EE's work on plasma fusion too, so it's not impossible.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook