1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FRUSTRATING QUESTION: Condensation Reactions with Covalent Bonds

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    Which of the following macromolecules are held together by covalent bonds between monomers and are synthesized through condensation reactions? Choose all correct answers.

Nucleic acids

Triglycerides

Carbohydrates

Proteins

This is what I think:
    -Nucleic acids form condensations reactions through phosphodiester linkages. Would this be a type of covalent bond?
    -Triglycerides definitely form covalent bonds and I think they form through condensation reactions.
    -Carbohydrates: I definitely think they form condensation reactions though covalent bonds.
    -Proteins: When they form peptide bond, I think they form condensation reaction.

So what do you all think? Would it be all of them? Any help on which would not be would be hugely appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What are monomers in each case? How many of them? How many monomers per macromolecule?

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

As you correctly noted, all four are formed through condensation reactions. Not all of them are formed from bonds between monomers, however.

5. Sep 20, 2008 #4
    So would it be only proteins carbohydrates, and nucleic acids then? The monomer of proteins are amino acids and monomer of carbohydrates are monosacharides. Nucleic acids have monomer nucleotides.

Triglcerides arent composed of monomers.

Would this be correct? This is a very important question to me and I am down to my last opportunity...please help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?