FRW metric derivation: constraints from isotropic and homoge

In summary, isotropy and homogeneity require that the time-dependent curvature of the metric is a function of space and not time.
binbagsss
frw derivation.png
I don't understand the reasoning for any of the three constraints imposed.

why would ##dtdx^i## terms indicate a preferred direction? what if there was identical terms for each ##x^i## would there still be a specified or preferred direction? (or is it that in this case we could rename ##t## to make these terms redundant?)

I don't understand why if the ##g_tt## component were to depend on ##x^i## homogeneity would be broken? (also again, what if we had some function symmetrical in all ##x^i##; would it still be broken?)Consistent with not understanding this I don't understnad why ##h^{ij} ## can not have time-dependence.

The definitions I have are:

. Homogeneous is defined as "the same in all locations" while isotropic means "the same in all directions

ta

Attachments

• frw derivation.png
    frw derivation.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 900
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
why would ##dtdx^i## terms indicate a preferred direction?

Because the coefficient that multiplies them, ##B_i##, defines a preferred direction: the direction of the vector ##B_i##.

binbagsss said:
what if there was identical terms for each ##x^i##

That just means that the vector ##B_i## points in a direction that has equal ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## components. That's not the same as not having a preferred direction.

binbagsss said:
I don't understand why if the ##g_{tt}## component were to depend on ##x^i## homogeneity would be broken?

Because homogeneity means things are the same at every spatial point at a given instant of time. If ##g_{tt}## depends on ##x^i##, then the "time dilation factor" is not the same at every spatial point at a given instant of time.

binbagsss said:
I don't understnad why ##h^{ij}## can not have time-dependence.

That's not what the quote you gave says. It says that the time dependence of ##h_{ij}## can only be in an overall scale factor ##a(t)##, so that ##h_{ij} = a(t) \gamma_{ij}##, where ##\gamma_{ij}## does not depend on time.

PeterDonis said:
That just means that the vector ##B_i## points in a direction that has equal ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## components. That's not the same as not having a preferred direction.

So say ##2dxdt+2dydt+2dzdt## ; ##B_i=2##; what is the preferred direction?
I thought ##B_i## is a component of the tensor ##g_{uv}## and is therefore a scalar and not a vector?

PeterDonis said:
That's not what the quote you gave says. It says that the time dependence of ##h_{ij}## can only be in an overall scale factor ##a(t)##, so that ##h_{ij} = a(t) \gamma_{ij}##, where ##\gamma_{ij}## does not depend on time.

so the definition for isotropic is again at a given time it must look the same in all directions?

binbagsss said:
So say ##2dxdt+2dydt+2dzdt## ; Bi=2

No, ##B_i## is a vector with components ##(2, 2, 2)##. Big difference.

binbagsss said:
I thought ##B_i## is a component of the tensor ##g_{uv}## and is therefore a scalar and not a vector?

First, components of a tensor are not scalars. They are numbers, but they are not invariant under coordinate transformations, so they're not scalars (a scalar is defined as a number that is invariant under coordinate transformations, like the invariant norm of a 4-vector).

Second, the notation your source is using is confusing if you are trying to keep components straight. It is splitting up the 4x4 symmetric matrix ##g_{uv}##, with 10 components, as follows: the number ##g_{00}## (1 component), the 3-vector ##B_i## (3 components) and the 3x3 symmetric matrix ##h_{ij}## (6 components). The term ##B_i dt dx^i## is actually a summation: it's three terms added together (using the Einstein summation convention), so ##B_i## in their notation represents a 3-vector.

PeterDonis said:
No, ##B_i## is a vector with components ##(2, 2, 2)##. Big difference.

ok, but what is the preffered direction?

binbagsss said:
what is the preffered direction?

The direction pointed at by a vector with components ##(2, 2, 2)##.

I find the whole discussion in the source quoted in the OP problematic. In any manifold at all, some finite (often large) spacetime region can be put into Gaussian Normal coordinates such that g00 is 1 and g0i is zero. In other words, in the terms of the OP snippet, A = 1, B = 0, can be achieved for some region of any spacetime at all, around any point. What isotropy/homogeneity require is that h is factorable into a function of time and a spatial submetric that does not depend on time and that has constant curvature (for some foliation).

See, for example MTW, exercise 27.2

[edit: for an interesting example, Lemaitre coordinates represent a Gaussian Normal system for the Schwarzschild metric, covering one exterior [in relation to Kruskal coordinates] and the portion of one interior accessible to a collapsed body. The Schwarzschild geometry is clearly not homogenous, let alone isotropic about every point.]

Last edited:

1. What is the FRW metric derivation?

The FRW metric derivation is a mathematical process used to derive the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) metric, which is a mathematical model used to describe the geometry of the universe. It is based on the principles of general relativity and assumes that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic.

2. What are the constraints used in the FRW metric derivation?

The constraints used in the FRW metric derivation are based on the assumption that the universe is both isotropic and homogenous. This means that the universe is uniform in all directions and at all points in space. These constraints are essential in deriving the FRW metric as they allow for a simpler and more accurate mathematical model of the universe.

3. How does the FRW metric derivation relate to general relativity?

The FRW metric derivation is closely related to general relativity as it is based on the principles and equations of this theory. General relativity describes the relationship between matter, energy, and the curvature of space and time. The FRW metric derivation uses these equations to derive a mathematical model of the universe that is consistent with the principles of general relativity.

4. What does the FRW metric tell us about the structure of the universe?

The FRW metric provides a mathematical description of the structure of the universe. It tells us that the universe is expanding and that the expansion rate is accelerating. It also tells us that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales, meaning that it appears the same in all directions and at all points in space.

5. Are there any limitations to the FRW metric derivation?

While the FRW metric is a widely accepted mathematical model of the universe, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not be entirely accurate. It also does not account for the effects of dark energy and dark matter, which are believed to make up a significant portion of the universe's mass and energy.