Understanding Homogeneity & Isotropy in FRW Metric

In summary, the metric of a spacetime must take the form ##ds^{2}=-dt^{2}+a^{2}(t)\gamma_{ij}(u)du^{i}du^{j}## where ##\gamma_{ij}## is the metric of a spacelike slice at a constant t. This form is chosen because it allows for homogeneous and isotropic spacelike slices. Homogeneity means that the spacetime is translationally invariant, while isotropy means that it is rotationally invariant. However, these properties are not inherent to the spacetime itself, but rather dependent on the coordinates chosen. Therefore, it is possible to have a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime with a time-dependent function multiplying the
binbagsss
So in deriving the metric, the space-time can be foliated by homogenous and isotropic spacelike slices.

And the metric must take the form:

##ds^{2}=-dt^{2}+a^{2}(t)\gamma_{ij}(u)du^{i}du^{j}##,

where ## \gamma_{ij} ## is the metric of a spacelike slice at a constant t

QUESTION:
So I've read that:
1) Homogenity would be broken if the a(t) was taken outside the metric
2) By isotropicity there can be no cross-terms dtdx, dtdy, dtdz.

What I know:
homogenous means the same throughout - translationally invariant.
isotropic means the same in every direction - rotationally invariant.

But I'm struggling to see how 1) and 2) follow from this. As stupid as it sounds, I don't really see where time comes in when these properties are only on the spacelike slices.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
the metric must take the form...

No; "must" is incorrect. The correct statement is "one can always choose coordinates in which the metric takes the form..." See further comments below.

binbagsss said:
I've read

Reference please? A general note: statements like "I've read" or "I read somewhere" are red flags that you should be giving a specific reference, not a general vague statement. We can't tell whether what you've read is reliable if we can't read it ourselves.

binbagsss said:
Homogenity would be broken if the a(t) was taken outside the metric

What does "taken outside the metric" mean? Does it mean it multiplies the entire RHS, instead of just the spatial part? I'm going to assume it does in the rest of this post.

binbagsss said:
By isotropicity there can be no cross-terms dtdx, dtdy, dtdz.

More precisely, the fact that the spacetime is isotropic means we can always choose coordinates in which there are no cross terms. See further comments below.

binbagsss said:
homogenous means the same throughout - translationally invariant.

Yes.

binbagsss said:
isotropic means the same in every direction - rotationally invariant.

Yes.

binbagsss said:
I'm struggling to see how 1) and 2) follow from this

Is it both 1) and 2) that you don't understand, or just 1)? Your next statement seems to relate to 1), not 2).

binbagsss said:
I don't really see where time comes in when these properties are only on the spacelike slices.

The spacelike slices depend on the coordinates you choose. Statements 1) and 2) are really statements about how you can choose coordinates. I pointed that out above in my response to 2), about what "isotropic" means, but it goes for "homogeneous" too. "Homogeneous" does not mean you can't have ##a(t)## multiply the time part of the metric as well as the spatial part; it means that in a homogeneous spacetime, you can choose coordinates such that the time part of the metric is just ##- dt^2##, a constant, independent of the coordinates. If you choose other coordinates for a homogeneous spacetime, then the time part of the metric might have a function ##a(t)## multiplying it (or a function of any of the coordinates). That doesn't mean the spacetime isn't homogeneous; it means you chose coordinates differently.

Related to Understanding Homogeneity & Isotropy in FRW Metric

1. What is the FRW metric?

The FRW metric, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric, is a mathematical model used to describe the geometry of the universe. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity and describes a homogeneous and isotropic expanding universe.

2. What does it mean for the universe to be homogeneous?

A homogeneous universe means that it is the same everywhere on a large scale. This means that the distribution of matter and energy is uniform throughout the universe. In the context of the FRW metric, this assumption allows for a simpler mathematical description of the universe.

3. What does isotropy mean in the FRW metric?

Isotropy refers to the idea that the universe looks the same in all directions. This means that there is no preferred direction in the universe, and the laws of physics are the same in all directions. In other words, the universe is symmetric in all directions.

4. How does the FRW metric explain the expansion of the universe?

The FRW metric includes a scale factor, which represents the expansion of the universe. As time passes, this scale factor increases, indicating that the universe is expanding. This expansion is consistent with observations of the universe's expansion, such as the redshift of distant galaxies.

5. What evidence supports the FRW metric?

There is a considerable amount of observational evidence that supports the FRW metric. This includes the observed expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale distribution of galaxies. Additionally, the predictions of the FRW metric, such as the Hubble's law and the relationship between distance and redshift, have been confirmed through various experiments and observations.