Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier Filter + Regulator DC Power supply

IZ, and VRL p-p (Ripple)In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment with correct answers already filled in. The problem is approached using various calculations and equations, but there are three values that the person is having trouble finding: Vc1-dc, IZ, and VRL p-p (Ripple). They are seeking help with these values.
Petrucciowns
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/3557/1234uyq.jpg

Ok, there are a few calculations on this problem that I am having difficulty with. This is a past homework assignment which is why the answers are filled in. They are all correct.

Anyways I approached the problem in this manner:

V secondary peak = V2/ .707

The voltage drop across RL is ZZT

IRL= ZZT/RL

VC1P= V2P - Both forward biased diode drops.

VC1 P-P (Ripple) = IDC / (2f * C)

VRS= Vc1 dc - Vzt

IRS= VRS /RS

The three that I am having trouble with are: Vc1-dc , IZ, and VRL p-p (Ripple)

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now all I need to know its how to find the value of. Vc-dc

I can understand your approach to the problem and the difficulty you are having with some of the calculations. It is important to note that this type of circuit is commonly used to convert AC power to DC power. The full-wave bridge rectifier, made up of four diodes, allows for the conversion of both halves of the AC cycle, resulting in a smoother output compared to a half-wave rectifier. The filter capacitor helps to smooth out any remaining ripple in the output, and the regulator ensures a constant output voltage.

Now, let's address the three calculations you are having trouble with:

1. Vc1-dc: This is the DC voltage across the filter capacitor, which can be calculated using the formula Vc1-dc = V2P - VD - VD, where V2P is the peak voltage of the secondary AC supply, and VD is the voltage drop across each diode. In this case, VD is given as 0.7V, so you can substitute that in the formula to get Vc1-dc = V2P - 1.4V.

2. IZ: This is the current through the zener diode, which is used as a voltage regulator. It can be calculated using Ohm's Law, I = V/R, where V is the voltage across the zener diode and R is the resistance of the zener diode. In this case, V is given as 10V and R is given as 100 ohms, so you can substitute those values in the formula to get IZ = 10V/100 ohms = 0.1A.

3. VRL p-p (Ripple): This is the peak-to-peak voltage across the load resistor, which can be calculated using the formula VRL p-p = IDC/(2f*C), where IDC is the DC current through the load resistor, f is the frequency of the AC supply, and C is the value of the filter capacitor. In this case, IDC is given as 0.1A, f is given as 60Hz, and C is given as 100uF (0.0001F), so you can substitute those values in the formula to get VRL p-p = 0.1A/(2*60Hz*0.0001F) = 0.083V.

I hope this helps you understand the calculations better.

1. What is a full-wave bridge rectifier filter?

A full-wave bridge rectifier filter is an electronic circuit used to convert an alternating current (AC) input into a direct current (DC) output. It is composed of four diodes arranged in a bridge configuration, which allows for more efficient and precise conversion compared to a half-wave rectifier.

2. How does a full-wave bridge rectifier filter work?

The four diodes in a full-wave bridge rectifier filter work together to block the negative portion of the AC input and allow the positive portion to pass through, resulting in a pulsating DC output. The filter component then helps to smooth out the output and produce a more stable DC voltage.

3. Why is a regulator necessary in a power supply?

A regulator is necessary in a power supply because it helps to maintain a constant and stable DC output voltage. Without a regulator, the output voltage may fluctuate, which can cause damage to electronic devices that require a specific voltage to function properly.

4. What is the purpose of a DC power supply?

The purpose of a DC power supply is to provide a steady and regulated source of DC voltage to power electronic devices. This is important because many electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones, require a specific and stable voltage to operate correctly.

5. Can a full-wave bridge rectifier filter + regulator DC power supply be used for both AC and DC input?

Yes, a full-wave bridge rectifier filter + regulator DC power supply can be used for both AC and DC input. The rectifier component allows for the conversion of AC input into DC output, while the regulator ensures a stable voltage regardless of the input type. However, it is important to choose a power supply with the appropriate input and output specifications for the specific device being powered.