Designing a linear DC power supply

If that ripple current creates a voltage drop in the series resistance in the circuit that is too high, you may need to increase C and repeat the ripple current calculation. You can iterate the process until you find a satisfactory solution.In summary, to design a 12 V, 2 A regulated power supply with a transformer, bridge rectifier, reservoir capacitor, and regulator, a minimum peak secondary voltage of 24 V is needed to account for diode drops, regulator headroom, and a 10% variation in the available mains supply. A suitable transformer should be selected to provide at least this secondary voltage and a suitable VA rating. The maximum rectified voltage should be calculated, taking into account a percentage for poor transformer regulation and a 10
Whiley

Homework Statement

Design, giving the necessary ratings and characteristics necessary for the transformer, bridge rectifier, reservoir capacitor and regulator, a 12 V, 2 A regulated power supply. Also identify any heat sink requirements. The available mains supply is 230 V ±10% @ 50 Hz.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:
Desired output + diode drop + allowance for regulator +10%variation in supply
(12V+1.4V+2V)+10%=16.94V RMS
minimum Vs_peak=16.94(sqr(2))=24V

Physics news on Phys.org
I have so far gone as far as working out the minimum secondary winding peak voltage.
I have 2 answers working differently so I would like to clear something up before I can proceed.

I have used in the method posted above 1.4V for diode drops and 2V for regulator headroom. My calculations are done in RMS before finding the peak. Should I change the 1.4V and 2V to RMS or are they assumed to be already?

Whiley said:
I have used in the method posted above 1.4V for diode drops and 2V for regulator headroom. My calculations are done in RMS before finding the peak. Should I change the 1.4V and 2V to RMS or are they assumed to be already?

No see below.

Whiley said:
So far I have:
Desired output + diode drop + allowance for regulator +10%variation in supply

The output of a bridge rectifier and capacitor looks like this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
400px-Smoothed_ripple_gray_background.svg.png

At the bottom of the ripple the voltage must still be above the minimum needed for the regulator so you need something like..

Peak voltage = Desired output + headroom for regulator + ripple voltage + diode drops

If you use a big enough capacitor to make the ripple small you can approximate the ripple voltage using..
I = CdV/dt (which comes from Q = CV)
so
dV = Idt/C

You know I is 2A, you know approximate dt from the period of the waveform. Pick a value of C to give you a modest ripple voltage.

Also.. Power diodes typically have a higher forward voltage than signal diodes. Could be 1.2-1.5V per diode rather than 0.7V. Perhaps have a look at a few data sheets for diodes in the 2-10A range.

CWatters said:
Also.. Power diodes typically have a higher forward voltage than signal diodes. Could be 1.2-1.5V per diode rather than 0.7V. Perhaps have a look at a few data sheets for diodes in the 2-10A range.

Thanks for your reply, I didnt consider the ripple before, thanks I will work on that. As for the diodes, the lessons state approx 0.7V drop in reference to power supply applications. I will have another look, perhaps its mentioned and I missed it.

CWatters said:
Also... the reason I hadn't considered ripple is because i am following the following procedure:

1. Define the desired d.c. output voltage, VO, and the maximum current, IO, that the supply is to provide.

2. Select a regulator for the desired output voltage that is capable of delivering the required current.

3. Note the minimum allowable input voltage to the regulator (or allow at least 2 V above the regulated output voltage, i.e , VO + 2 V).

4. Determine the minimum peak secondary voltage of the transformer, allowing for 2 V dropped across the bridge and a possible 10% supply voltage variation. The rms secondary voltage will be of the peak value.

5. Select a suitable transformer to give at least this secondary voltage and suitable VA rating.*

6. Calculate the maximum rectified voltage presented to the input of the regulator. This will be on no load, i.e. an added percentage for poor transformer regulation and + 10% for voltage supply variation. 1 2 28 Teesside University Open Learning (Engineering) © Teesside University 2011

7. Calculate the maximum ripple voltage.

8. Calculate the minimum capacitance of the smoothing capacitor.

9. Calculate the capacitor ripple current.

10. Select a suitable capacitor.

etc..

That procedure isn't bad but its normally more of an iterative process..

The voltage you calculate at step 3 is a lower limit below which the linear regulator stops working or "drops out". So you cannot specify that as the peak voltage. You must shoot for a higher peak voltage to allow for the diodes, the issues mentioned in step 6 (10%) and a budgetary estimate for the ripple voltage (perhaps 1V).

Steps 7 and 8 are usually done together. For example you normally calculate the minimum capacitance required to reduce the ripple voltage below the value you budgeted for earlier. Then you round up the calculated capacitance to the nearest standard value and finally recalculate the actual ripple current that will occur with the chosen capacitor.

1. What is a linear DC power supply?

A linear DC power supply is a type of electrical power supply that converts AC voltage to a stable DC voltage. It uses a transformer, rectifier, and voltage regulator to achieve this conversion.

2. How does a linear DC power supply work?

A linear DC power supply works by first converting the AC voltage from the main power source to a lower AC voltage using a transformer. This lower voltage AC is then rectified into DC using a diode bridge. The DC voltage is then regulated and filtered to remove any remaining AC ripple, resulting in a stable DC output.

3. What are the advantages of using a linear DC power supply?

Some advantages of using a linear DC power supply include low output ripple, high accuracy and stability, and low electromagnetic interference. They are also relatively simple and inexpensive to design and maintain.

4. What are the limitations of a linear DC power supply?

The main limitations of a linear DC power supply are its low efficiency and limited output current capabilities. Since it works by dissipating excess voltage as heat, it can become inefficient when the output voltage is significantly higher than the input voltage. Additionally, linear power supplies are not suitable for high current applications.

5. How can I design a linear DC power supply?

To design a linear DC power supply, you will need to determine the required output voltage and current, select appropriate components such as a transformer, rectifier, and regulator, and calculate the necessary ratings for each component. You will also need to consider factors such as thermal management and safety measures. It is recommended to consult a detailed guide or seek professional assistance when designing a linear DC power supply.