Full wave rectifier with capacitor filter

• Thread starter Ahmed22
  • Start date
i am having trouble finding out all the names given to the components in this circuit. Also i am struggling to find the names to the two different parts of the circuit. can anyone help me please?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hi Ahmed22. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

My spectacles seem heavily fogged up this morning. But from memory a full-wave rectifier circuit comprises an AC source feeding a transformer, then either 2 or 4 diodes, and followed by a large capacitor in parallel with a resistor (the resistor representing the load).

If it needs 4 diodes then it's usually referred to as a bridge rectifier, and it delivers full-wave rectification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ahmed22
Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol
The mists of time also cloud my judgment.
My guess is that you have an AC source followed by a transformer, then a bridge rectifier, a storage capacitor and a resistive load.

Likes Ahmed22
Hi Ahmed22. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

My spectacles seem heavily fogged up this morning. But from memory a full-wave rectifier circuit comprises an AC source feeding a transformer, then either 2 or 4 diodes, and followed by a large capacitor in parallel with a resistor (the resistor representing the load).

If it needs 4 diodes then it's usually referred to as a bridge rectifier, and it delivers full-wave rectification.
in the image there is two different parts of the circuit any idea what the individual parts are called??
Also thanks for your help on the first part. much appreciated!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
The first part is the AC circuitry. The second half is the DC circuitry. Without a focussed image we really cannot guess at what joins the two parts.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It is probably showing an alternative load: you can operate the rectifier with a resistive load, or you can operate it with a large filter capacitor across that load. You get greater load voltage (i.e., greater average or DC output voltage) by using the capacitive filter.

The first part is the AC circuitry. The second half is the DC circuitry. Without a focussed image we really cannot guess at what joins the two parts.[/much appreciated would it help if i uploaded a clear image?

The first part is the AC circuitry. The second half is the DC circuitry. Without a focussed image we really cannot guess at what joins the two parts.
this is clearer

Attachments

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
So this is homework ?

So this is homework ?
we're supposed to research. i have had a look online but could'nt find any answers

meBigGuy
Gold Member