Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full wave rectifier with capacitor filter

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    i am having trouble finding out all the names given to the components in this circuit. Also i am struggling to find the names to the two different parts of the circuit. can anyone help me please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Ahmed22. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

My spectacles seem heavily fogged up this morning. But from memory a full-wave rectifier circuit comprises an AC source feeding a transformer, then either 2 or 4 diodes, and followed by a large capacitor in parallel with a resistor (the resistor representing the load).

If it needs 4 diodes then it's usually referred to as a bridge rectifier, and it delivers full-wave rectification.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol
    The mists of time also cloud my judgment.
    My guess is that you have an AC source followed by a transformer, then a bridge rectifier, a storage capacitor and a resistive load.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4
    in the image there is two different parts of the circuit any idea what the individual parts are called??
    Also thanks for your help on the first part. much appreciated!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jan 10, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The first part is the AC circuitry. The second half is the DC circuitry. Without a focussed image we really cannot guess at what joins the two parts.

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It is probably showing an alternative load: you can operate the rectifier with a resistive load, or you can operate it with a large filter capacitor across that load. You get greater load voltage (i.e., greater average or DC output voltage) by using the capacitive filter.

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

9. Jan 10, 2015 #8
    this is clearer

Attached Files:

10. Jan 10, 2015 #9

Baluncore

Science Advisor

So this is homework ?

11. Jan 10, 2015 #10
    we're supposed to research. i have had a look online but could'nt find any answers

12. Jan 10, 2015 #11

meBigGuy

Gold Member

WOW. What did you search for? I looked up "full wave rectifier circuit" with google and the first link described everything.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook