Fully developed flow, Reynolds number

In summary: I have one more questiion, I am also using a mixture of Glycerol and water in ration of 40:60, I calculated the reynolds number for the similar flowrates and foound them to be 254,1268,3804 respectivelyIn summary, In order to calculate the length of the tube required for a fully developed flow to occur, you need to know the flow rate, the hydraulic diameter of the tube, the density of the fluid, the absolute (dynamic) viscosity, and the hydraulic diameter of the tube. You can use the equation Le/D= 0.06Re to calculate the entrance length.
rustyrockets
Hi,
For my experiment I was asked to determine the length of the tube for a fully developed flow to occur ( Entrance length as shown in the attachment) , with the following flow parameters.
Flow rate : 1, 5, 15 lit/min
Fluid: Water
Tube Id: 1 inch.
My question How do I find out the length of the tube required to have a fully developed flow at its end. A valve is connected to the end, so the flow should be fully developed at the end when it hits the valve. The length of the tube is unknown. How would one use reynolds number to calculate this when I have both the length and the reynolds number not known.

Thanks & Regards

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena give an equation for estimating the hydrodynamic entrance length for laminar flow in a tube.

Chet

I did not understand it, can you please explain

rustyrockets said:
I did not understand it, can you please explain
Which part don't you understand? What was the equation they presented for calculating the entrance length?

Chet

I was asked to calculate the entrance length,
I have the parameters flow rate 1,5,15 lit/min
Hydraulic diameter 1inch
fluid: water
density of water 1000kg/m3
Absolute (dynamic) viscosity - μ - Ns/m2 = 0.000404
hydraulic diameter 1 inch=0.0254meters
using the equation Le/D= 0.06Re , Le/D= 4.4(Re)^(1/6)
I calculated the values and got them as 3.1m, 0.5m, 0.6m respectively for their flowrates. Do you think this is correct?

rustyrockets said:
I was asked to calculate the entrance length,
I have the parameters flow rate 1,5,15 lit/min
Hydraulic diameter 1inch
fluid: water
using the equation Le/D= 0.06Re , Le/D= 4.4(Re)^(1/6)
I calculated the values and got them as 3.1m, 0.5m, 0.6m respectively for their flowrates. Do you think this is correct?
Well now, this is more like it! I'm assuming that you did the arithmetic correctly. What were the values of the Re's that you obtained in each case, and which equation did you use in each case.

Chet

I was worried , if i made any conversion mistakes or any other arithmetic mistakes with formula i used.

rustyrockets said:
I was worried , if i made any conversion mistakes or any other arithmetic mistakes with formula i used.
Well, since you used online software to do the calculations, it's hard to imagine how that would be possible. I urge you to do the calculations without resorting to the online software, to develop your skill at converting units.

Chet

I have one more questiion, I am also using a mixture of Glycerol and water in ration of 40:60, I calculated the reynolds number for the similar flowrates and foound them to be 254,1268,3804 respectively

3804 is transient flow, how do i calculate the Le for that?

Calculate it from both equations, and use whichever is larger.

sounds perfect, thank you :)

What is fully developed flow?

Fully developed flow refers to fluid flow in which the velocity profile remains constant across the entire cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel. This means that the flow is fully developed after a certain distance from the inlet, and the velocity at any given point does not change as the fluid moves downstream.

How is fully developed flow different from other types of flow?

Unlike fully developed flow, other types of flow, such as laminar flow and turbulent flow, have varying velocity profiles across the cross-sectional area. In these types of flow, the velocity at any given point can change as the fluid moves downstream, and the flow is not fully developed.

What is Reynolds number and how does it relate to fully developed flow?

Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that is used to predict the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) in a fluid based on the fluid's velocity, density, viscosity, and characteristic length. For fully developed flow, the Reynolds number is typically high, indicating turbulent flow.

What factors affect the development of flow?

The development of flow can be affected by factors such as the fluid's viscosity, density, velocity, and the geometry of the pipe or channel. A high viscosity or low velocity can result in laminar flow, while a low viscosity or high velocity can result in turbulent flow.

Why is understanding fully developed flow important in fluid dynamics?

Understanding fully developed flow is important in fluid dynamics because it allows engineers to predict the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels, which is crucial in designing efficient and cost-effective systems for industries such as transportation, energy, and water supply. It also helps in understanding the effects of different parameters on flow and in optimizing the design of fluid systems.