Function Generation, Expressing in closed forms

In summary: What should the denominator be?I think I figured out what the bracket notation means. It means the coefficient of x^n. I am still having trouble with part b.
QuietMind

Homework Statement

Taking derivatives of generating functions is another useful operation. This is done termwise, that is, if

F(x) = f0 + f1x + f2x2 + f3x3 + · · · ,
then
F' (x) ::= f1 + 2f2x + 3f3x2 + · · · .
For example,
##\frac{1}{(1-x)^2} = (\frac{1}{(1-x)})'= 1 + 2x + 3x^2 +· · · ##
so
H(x) ::= ##\frac{x}{(1-x)^2} = 0 + 1x + 2x^2 + 3x^3 + · · · ##

is the generating function for the sequence of nonegative integers. Therefore

## \frac{1 + x}{ (1 − x)^3} = H' (x) = 1 + 2^2 x + 3^2 x^2 + 4^2x^3 + · · ·## ,
so
##\frac{x^2 + x}{ (1 − x)^3} = xH' (x) = 0 + 1x + 2^2 x^2 + 3^2 x^3 + · · · + n^2 x^n + · · ·##

is the generating function for the nonegative integer squares.

(a) Prove that for all k ∈ N, the generating function for the nonnegative integer kth powers is a quotient of polynomials in x. That is, for all k ∈ N there are polynomials Rk(x) and Sk(x) such that

##[x^n ] (\frac{R_k (x)}{S_k (x)})= n^k##. (2)

Hint: Observe that the derivative of a quotient of polynomials is also a quotient of polynomials. It is not necessary work out explicit formulas for Rk and Sk to prove this part.

(b) Conclude that if f(n) is a function on the nonnegative integers defined recursively in the form

##f(n) = af(n − 1) + bf(n − 2) + cf(n − 3) + p(n)\alpha ^n##

where the a, b, c, ##\alpha## ∈ C and p is a polynomial with complex coefficients, then the generating function for the sequence f(0), f(1), f(2), . . . will be a quotient of polynomials in x, and hence there is a closed form expression for f(n).
Hint: Consider
##\frac {R_k (\alpha x)} {S_k(\alpha x)}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I am not quite sure what the brackets
##[x^n]##
mean. I haven't seen them in any other problems, but I'm assuming it's multiplication.
From this expression,
##\frac{x^2 + x}{ (1 − x)^3} = xH' (x) = 0 + 1x + 2^2 x^2 + 3^2 x^3 + · · · + n^2 x^n + · · ·##
any ##n^k## can be reached by taking the derivative of both sides (the LHS remains a quotient of polynomials in x), and then multiplying the both sides by x to prepare for taking another derivative. This process let's the LHS remain a quotient of polynomials in x. This process can be repeated indefinitely until the coefficient of ##x^n## is ##n^k##

b) I am not sure what my first steps should be in this problem. I see that in the hint, they put an ##\alpha## in the argument of each function. Where would this ##\alpha## "propagate" to?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuietMind said:

Homework Statement

Taking derivatives of generating functions is another useful operation. This is done termwise, that is, if

F(x) = f0 + f1x + f2x2 + f3x3 + · · · ,
then
F' (x) ::= f1 + 2f2x + 3f3x2 + · · · .
For example,
##\frac{1}{(1-x)^2} = (\frac{1}{(1-x)})'= 1 + 2x + 3x^2 +· · · ##
so
H(x) ::= ##\frac{x}{(1-x)^2} = 0 + 1x + 2x^2 + 3x^3 + · · · ##

is the generating function for the sequence of nonegative integers. Therefore

## \frac{1 + x}{ (1 − x)^3} = H' (x) = 1 + 2^2 x + 3^2 x^2 + 4^2x^3 + · · ·## ,
so

is the generating function for the nonegative integer squares.

(a) Prove that for all k ∈ N, the generating function for the nonnegative integer kth powers is a quotient of polynomials in x. That is, for all k ∈ N there are polynomials Rk(x) and Sk(x) such that

##[x^n ] (\frac{R_k (x)}{S_k (x)})= n^k##. (2)

Hint: Observe that the derivative of a quotient of polynomials is also a quotient of polynomials. It is not necessary work out explicit formulas for Rk and Sk to prove this part.

(b) Conclude that if f(n) is a function on the nonnegative integers defined recursively in the form

##f(n) = af(n − 1) + bf(n − 2) + cf(n − 3) + p(n)\alpha ^n##

where the a, b, c, ##\alpha## ∈ C and p is a polynomial with complex coefficients, then the generating function for the sequence f(0), f(1), f(2), . . . will be a quotient of polynomials in x, and hence there is a closed form expression for f(n).
Hint: Consider
##\frac {R_k (\alpha x)} {S_k(\alpha x)}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I am not quite sure what the brackets
##[x^n]##
mean. I haven't seen them in any other problems, but I'm assuming it's multiplication.

b) I am not sure what my first steps should be in this problem. I see that in the hint, they put an ##\alpha## in the argument of each function. Where would this ##\alpha## "propagate" to?

My guess is that the notation ##[x^n](F(x)## means the coefficient of ##x^n## in the expansion ##F(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} c_k x^k##. However, that is just a guess, as I have never before seen that notation.

Aren't you being asked to start with
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^k x^n = F_k(x) = \frac{S_k(x)}{(1-x)^{k+1}}, [/tex]
and then get ##F_{k+1}(x)## by differentiation and multiplication by ##x##, to find a formula for ##S_{k+1}(x)##?

I have no idea what the ##\alpha## is all about, and I see no reason for it.

Your
Ray Vickson said:
Aren't you being asked to start with
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^k x^n = F_k(x) = \frac{S_k(x)}{(1-x)^{k+1}}, [/tex]
and then get ##F_{k+1}(x)## by differentiation and multiplication by ##x##, to find a formula for ##S_{k+1}(x)##?

I have no idea what the ##\alpha## is all about, and I see no reason for it.
This advice is for part b, correct? Are we looking for
##S_k+1 (x)## because that is the closed form expression for f(n)?

Starting with
##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^k x^n = F_k(x) = \frac{S_k(x)}{(1-x)^{k+1}}##
taking the derivative yields

##F_k'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^{k+1} x^{n-1}= \frac{ (1-x) S_k '(x) + S_k (x) (k+1)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}}##
multiplying by x
##xF_k'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^{k+1} x^n= \frac{ x(1-x) S_k '(x) + xS_k (x) (k+1)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}} = F_{k+1} (x) = \frac{S_{k+1} (x)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}}##

So
##S_{k+1}= xS_k '(x)(1-x) + x(k+1)S_k (x)##

QuietMind said:
Your
This advice is for part b, correct? Are we looking for
##S_k+1 (x)## because that is the closed form expression for f(n)?

Starting with
##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^k x^n = F_k(x) = \frac{S_k(x)}{(1-x)^{k+1}}##
taking the derivative yields

##F_k'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^{k+1} x^{n-1}= \frac{ (1-x) S_k '(x) + S_k (x) (k+1)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}}##
multiplying by x
##xF_k'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n^{k+1} x^n= \frac{ x(1-x) S_k '(x) + xS_k (x) (k+1)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}} = F_{k+1} (x) = \frac{S_{k+1} (x)}{ (1-x)^{k+2}}##

So
##S_{k+1}= xS_k '(x)(1-x) + x(k+1)S_k (x)##

My advice is for part (a) as well (except that the denominator function is specified); basically, if I were doing it I would do both parts (a) and (b) together--or, rather, I would not split it up into two parts at all.

I cannot figure out exactly what the "##f(n)##" is in the question; it seems to me that if the question is just asking for a generating function of the sequence ##\{n^k\}## it should just say so.

Likes QuietMind

1. What is function generation?

Function generation is the process of creating a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two or more variables. This expression is also known as a function.

2. Why is it important to express functions in closed forms?

Expressing functions in closed forms allows for a more concise and precise representation of the relationship between variables. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the function.

3. What are some examples of functions expressed in closed forms?

Some common examples of functions expressed in closed forms include polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. For example, y = 2x^2 + 3x - 5 is a polynomial function expressed in closed form.

4. How do you determine the closed form of a function?

The closed form of a function can be determined by analyzing the given relationship between variables and using mathematical operations and symbols to express it in a concise and standardized form. This often involves identifying patterns and applying algebraic techniques.

5. What are the benefits of using function generation with closed forms in scientific research?

Using function generation with closed forms allows scientists to accurately model and predict real-world phenomena, as well as analyze and interpret data more efficiently. It also allows for easier communication and sharing of findings between researchers.