1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function of force with respect to v & t; find final v and distance

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle ( m = 1 kg ) moves on the x axis. The initial position is x = 0 and the initial velocity is v(0) = 5 m/s. The particle experiences a force,

F(v,t) = − βv^2 e^(−αt)

(a) Determine the final velocity of the particle.
    (b) Determine the distance it has moved at t = 10 seconds.
    [DATA: α = 0.27 s−1 ; β = 1.19 kg/m .]

2. Relevant equations
    a=F/m

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part of the calculus review of my physics homework. What is confusing me is the function which is dependent on two variables.

For part (a) I divided the F function by the mass 1 kg which should then mean that a(v,t)=F(v,t)/m, correct? Beyond that I'm not sure how to differentiate the acceleration function to get velocity. If I differentiate with respect to t or with respect to v I still have a v in the equation which means I cannot find the limit of the resulting function as t approaches infinity to find the final velocity.

Once I figure out how to find the acceleration function I can probably differentiate that to find the position function for part (b).

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Velocity is not equal to the derivative of acceleration. Check your definitions of position, velocity, and acceleration again.

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the interpretation of v2? Is it v*2 or v^2 or something else?

Yes

Note that the acceleration can be written as a = dv/dt. Use this for the left hand side of a(v,t)=F(v,t)/m. See if you can somehow integrate this to find v(t). Hint: separation of variables.

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4
    *facepalm* Thanks for pointing that out. That would explain the confusion I suppose.

Yes, TSny, I missed the carrot and have adjusted the original. It is supposed to be v^2.

I'll get back after going in the -correct- direction.

6. Sep 13, 2013 #5
    So, here it goes:

dv/dt=-1.19(v^2)e^(-.27t) =>

v^(-2)dv=-1.19e^(-.27t)dt (integrate both sides) =>

-v^(-1)=4.40741e^(-.27t)+C =>

How do I do this without ending up with a limit depending on C? I could integrate the right half from 0 to infinity but what about the left half?

EDIT: Going to try to solve for C by leaving it on the left and plugging in the initial conditions.

EDIT 2: Plugging in 5 for v and 0 for t I get a C of ~4.6074. If I then solve the equation for v and take the limit as t approaches infinity with that C value the result is -.217 m/s.

Taking the integral of the above equation solved for v to find x(t) and plugging in t=10 seconds I get x(10)=-2.22

I'm not sure which, if not both, are incorrect because the solution is dependent on both being correct and it is not accepting my answers. Suggestions?

7. Sep 13, 2013 #6
    At Infiniti the exponential goes to zero therefore, 1/v = + c

8. Sep 13, 2013 #7
    To find c apply the given initial condition.
    After applying
    1/5 =-β/αm + c

9. Sep 13, 2013 #8
    Thank you, yands, yes. That should be a positive 0.217 m/s.

10. Sep 13, 2013 #9
    Just keep calm while solving problems dear:p

11. Sep 13, 2013 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note the negative sign on the left side of the equation. Should C be a positive or negative number?

[EDIT: Sorry, I see you found the mistake.]

12. Sep 13, 2013 #11
    It should be negative. So the resulting velocity would be 0.217 m/s. That is still not correct, though.

EDIT: I mean to say, that the combination of the two results is not correct even if 0.217 m/s is. I have to try the integral again with the negative.

13. Sep 13, 2013 #12
    You are making signs mistakes dude
    V^-2 dv = -β/me^-αt dt
    -V^-2 dv = β/me^-αt dt
    V^-1 = -β/αm e^-αt +c

14. Sep 13, 2013 #13
    Try to substitute the numerical values after you done manipulations

15. Sep 13, 2013 #14
    Now again apply nicely the initial condition

16. Sep 13, 2013 #15
    C is a constant to be determined so negative or positive it does not matter

17. Sep 13, 2013 #16
    Just be sure to take the reciprocal of the answer

18. Sep 13, 2013 #17
    Yeah, that's what I did. C=4.6074. Are you interpreting the ~ as a negative?

19. Sep 13, 2013 #18
    I got 0.217 too . Why are you so sure it is not correct

20. Sep 13, 2013 #19
    The answer is in two parts. Both are required for it to be correct. I need to find the distance traveled at t=10.

21. Sep 13, 2013 #20
    Why are you so sure the answer is incorrect

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted