1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function of Synaptic End Bulb

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    What is the function of the synaptic end bulb on a motor neuron? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google is your friend. :smile:
    Lots of info out there.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    What are you asking?

The function is the same as any other synapse, in this case the information transfer is between a motor neuron and a muscle cell. These synapses mediate the signal to contract a muscle.

Or are you asking about the particular organization of the end-plate? This is likely to make a very 'strong' synapse. So a small number of presynaptic action potentials are sufficient for causing muscle contraction.
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    Google is my friend! While there is a lot of information out there, I couldn't bring much up when I googled variations of synaptic end bulb. So that is why I posted here:)
  6. Mar 12, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since neither google or Cincinnatus' post seem to be helpful then you are going to need to be much more specific about what your question is.
  7. Mar 12, 2008 #6
    I am sorry that I failed to mention that Cincinnatus' post did help. I don't really know how further explain the question... after doing a drawing of the motor neuron and labeling the SEB, I am suppose to give its function (of the SEB). So I take it that the SEB is the same thing as a synapse? Thanks....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?