I'm sorry to reopen the debate on what happens when I put a light bulb in a microvawe oven, but the question is driving me crazy. I'm debating with other students about "why I light bulb lights up when I put it in a microwave oven ?". I read the old thread posted in 2003 https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/light-bulb-in-a-microwave.6438 [Broken] - I found a lot of nice conclusions about, but some of them are in contradiction. Duncan states that "The incandescent bulb is likely to be lit due to current in the filament set up by the microwaves directly. Microwaves waves applied to metals will in general create electric currents". But chroot objects by stating that "Microwaves applied to metals do not create currents. Furthermore, your assertion that the arcing due to foil is caused by such currents is also wrong" (and I agree with him). Can anyone put the "end" word to this question by explaining why the light bulb lights up ? Many thanks in advice.