1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function such that f'(x) exists but limf'(x) as x -> 0 does not

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does anyone have an example of a function such that f'(x) exists everywhere, but limf'(x) as x approaches 0 does not?

Thanks in advance!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking something along the lines of f(x) = (2x^5 + 5x^2)/x^11
    Since then f'(x) = (10x^4 + 10x) / 11x^10
    and limf'(x) as x approaches 0 does not exist since 11(0)^10 = 0 and you cannot divide by 0. However, I realized that that means that f'(x) does not exist everywhere since limf'(x) doesn't exist as x approaches 0, that implies that f'(0) does not exist.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I see two problems with this.
    1. Your function f is not defined at x = 0, so f' is also undefined at x = 0. This violates the condition that f' is defined everywhere.
    2. Your differentiation is incorrect. The derivative of a quotient is NOT the quotient of the derivatives. To differentiate a quotient you normally need to use the quotient rule. For your example, carrying out the division first before differentiating makes it unnecessary to use the quotient rule.

f(x) = (2x5 + 5x2)/x11 = 2x-6 + 5x-9. Now you can differentiate using the sum rule and the power rule.

In any case, this is not a good example, since f' is not defined everywhere.

4. Apr 5, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So you want a function that's continuous everywhere, but not differentiable at 0.

How about f(x) = |x|

5. Apr 5, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This one came to my mind, as well, but it doesn't work. For this function, f' doesn't exist at x = 0. The condition in the problem is that f'(x) exists everywhere.

6. Apr 5, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Try starting with ##\sin(1/x)## and multiplying by something suitable so that ##f'(0)## exists but ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f'(x)## does not exist.

7. Apr 5, 2013 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

H'about :

f(x)=-x2/2 , for x<0

f(0)=0

f(x)=x2/2 for x>0

Then f'(x)=|x| , so that f' is defined everywhere, but the limits at 0 don't agree.

8. Apr 5, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But this ##f'## is continuous everywhere, so the limits will agree everywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted