1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional analysis and limits

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \lim_n a_n := \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stuck at exercise (c). Since if n heads to infinity the m doesn't play the role the limit must be one. So the mistake is somewhere on the left and I think it is at the part where both limits are taken at the same time.

Or is the limit 1/2? Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does f_n really converge to 1? What's ||f_n-1|| for any n?

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: we have to be careful when we say things like "[itex]f_n \to \textbf{1}[/tex]" nonchalantly. What does "[itex]\to[/itex]" mean in this setting?

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

[tex] ||f_n-1|| = \frac{m}{m+n} [/tex] for any n. But if I let n tend to infinity this would go to zero, right? So the limit is one? I guess I miss the point here because the n stands for the nth sequence and the m is just the element in that sequence, right?

If I look in one sequence (so for fixed n) and let m tend to infinity I would always get zero do you mean that?

It means keeping m fixed while letting [tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] right?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. Oct 7, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't take n to infinity. Just focus on a single n for a minute. I think the limit m->infinity of m/(m+n) is one, not zero. So I would say ||f_n-1||=1. For ALL n. So I would say while it converges pointwise, the sequence f_n does not converge in l_infinity.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6
    So there holds: [tex] \lim_{m \rightarrow \infty} f_n =1 [/tex] imlpying pointwise convergence.

A sequence converges in [tex]l^{\infty}[/tex] if [tex] \lim_{j \rightarrow} ||f_j-f||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex] but by noticing the pointwise convergence one can note that this will not head to zero but 1, right?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. Oct 7, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got the right idea. I think your first statement should say lim n->infinity f_nm=1. Each term m of the sequences tends to 1 as n->infinity. But that's not enough to make the f_n converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?