1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional Analysis question

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1
    I have a commutative Banach algebra A with identity 1. If A contains an element [itex]e[/itex] such that [itex]e^2 = e[/itex] and [itex]e[/itex] is neither 0 nor 1 (I think this also means to say that it contains a non-trivial idempotent), then the maximal ideal space of A is disconnected.

Currently I am trying to show this but Im not getting very far. Here is a summary of what I think I may need to show this:

Because the question involves the maximal ideal space Im assuming I have to use the Gelfand transform somewhere. In particular it might be interesting to see what the Gelfand transform of the idempotent element e is.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2
    Question: Does the idempotent e allow us to decompose the Banach algebra A into a direct sum of ideals:

[tex]A = I_1\oplus I_2[/tex]

If so, I could write the first ideal as being the set generated by e, ie.

[tex]I_1 = eA = \{x\in A\,:\,x = ex\}[/tex]

[tex]I_2 = \{x\in A\,:\,ex = 0\}[/tex]

although Im not too sure about the relevancy of these two ideals, or if they are at all constructible.

Although, what I am sure about is that if I can create such ideals then it is clear that they are disjoint (closed) ideals and that for any element of the Banach algebra, x,

[tex]x = ex+(1-ex)[/tex]

which is an element of each ideal, and so

[tex]A = I_1\oplus I_2[/tex]

The problem remains: Does the idempotent allow me to construct these two disjoint ideals? What is the motivation behind such a decomposition? Does such a decomposition even help me show that the maximal ideals space [itex]\Delta_A[/itex] is disconnected?
  4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget functional analysis, it's not important.

Just let A be a ring, m is a maximal ideal iff A/m is a field or at least an integral domain, right? So what do e and (1-e) quotient out to if m is maximal and e is an idempotent (forget non-trivial too; that's an unnecessry proof by contradiction) and what do integral domains (fields) not have?
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4
    Matt, thankyou for this new angle for approaching my problem. I must say I understand a little bit more about algebra than I do about functional analysis.

An integral domain is a commutative ring with unity [itex]1\neq 0[/itex] and does not have any divisors of 0. All fields are integral domains.

If M is my maximal ideal in A, then since A is commutative with unity, A/M is also a nonzero commutative ring with unity IF M = A.

Let [itex](a+M)\in A/M[/itex], with [itex]a\neq M[/itex] so that a+M is not the additive identity element of A/M. Suppose that a has no multiplicative inverse in A/M. Then the set

[tex](A/M)(a+M) = \{(b+M)(a+M)\,|\,(b+M)\in A/M\}[/tex]

does not contain 1+M. So [itex](A/M)(a+M)[/itex] is an ideal of A/M.

It is non-trivial because [itex]a\notin M[/itex], and it is proper because it does not contain 1+M. But this contradicts our assumption that M is a maximal ideal, therefore a+M must have a multiplicative inverse in A/M.

This is how one of my proofs from algebra last year went. Im not sure how I will get to say that the quotient'ing' of the two elements e and e-1 will give me disjoint subsets other than one will not contain elements of the other. I believe I am still lacking the crucial information to make that call. I will keep thinking...
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  6. Apr 19, 2006 #5
    Ive been given a hint on how Im meant to do this problem:

Consider the case [itex]A = C(X)[/itex] where X is compact. Then apply this case to [itex]\hat{e}[/itex] (the Gelfand transform of e), and you will want to prove that [itex]\hat{e}[/itex] is neither 0 or 1. The spectral radius formula and the observation that [itex](1-e)^2 = 1-e[/itex] should help.

Im still struggling to show that [itex]\Delta_A[/itex] is not connected. :(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?