1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z)

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##u## and ##v## be differentiable functions of ##x,~y## and ##z##. Show that a necessary and sufficient condition that ##u## and ##v## are functionally related by the equation ##F(u,v)=0## is that ##\vec \nabla u \times \vec \nabla v= \vec 0##

2. Relevant equations
    (Not applicable)

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\vec \nabla u## and ##\vec \nabla u## are the normal vectors to the constant ##u##-surface and the constant ##v##-surface respectively. As, ##\vec \nabla u \times \vec \nabla v= \vec 0##, i.e, ##\vec \nabla u## and ##\vec \nabla v## are in the same (or opposite) direction for a particular value of ##(x, y, z)##, a constant ##u##-surface also represents a constant ##v##-surface. Therefore, for a particular value of ##u##, there exists a corresponding value of ##v##. So, we can conclude that ##u## and ##v## are functionally related.
    But, how can I prove it mathematically?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By 'functionally related', do you think that means that
    - for any given value of ##u## there is a unique value of ##v## such that ##F(u,v)=0## and
    - for any given value of ##v## there is a unique value of ##u## such that ##F(u,v)=0##?

If so, I'm not convinced by the above argument. I can imagine the set with ##u=1## as being two disconnected spheres, on one of which we have ##v=2## and on the other we have ##v=3##. Then there would be no unique ##v## value for ##u=1##.

I think a successful argument is going to have to bring the function ##F## into the argument, which the above does not.

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In fact, I think the proposition may not even be true.

First, note that the 'necessary' part is easy to prove. Just express ##u## as a function of ##v## and then write out ##\nabla u(v)\times \nabla v## in coordinate form and we see that everything cancels.

I think the following may be a counterexample to the 'sufficient' claim though.
    Define ##P=(1,0,0),Q=(-1,0,0)\in \mathbb{R}^3## and define ##u:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## by
    • ##u(x)=\max(0,B(1-\|x-P\|))## if ##x^1\geq 0##; and
    • ##u(x)=-\max(0,B(1-\|x-Q\|))## if ##x^1< 0##
    Where ##B:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## is a bump function with support ##(0,1)## (to ensure ##u## and ##v## are differentiable).

Then define ##v=|u|##, and ##F(u,v)=u^2-v^2##.

Then for any ##v\in(0,1)## the set of ##(u,v)## satisfying ##F(u,v)=0## is a pair of congruent, non-intersecting spheres, of radius in ##(0,1)##, centred on ##P## and ##Q##. The value of ##v## is constant everywhere on both spheres, but the values of ##u## on the two spheres have opposite signs. So ##F(u,v)=0## does not generate a functional relationship between ##u## and ##v##.

The best we could do would be to prove something like the Implicit Function Theorem, that requires additional conditions such as continuous differentiability, and only concludes that a functional relationship exists locally, not necessarily globally.

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, @andrewkirk . I was also puzzled by this exercise.

For the 'necessary' part, it is straightforward if one assumes that one of the partial derivatives of F never vanishes.
    Without any assumption on F, no way this can be true (F≡0 as a silly counterexample for the 'necessary' part).

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the necessary case one needs to prove that:

(1) ##\nabla u\times\nabla v\not\equiv 0\Rightarrow u,v## are not functionally related by ##F##.

For a counterexample to that we would have to affirm the antecedent and deny the consequent, that is, we'd need:

(2) ##(\nabla u\times\nabla v\not\equiv 0)## and (##u,v## are functionally related by ##F##)

The case ##F\equiv 0## affirms the consequent of (1), and hence denies the second conjunct of (2), so (2) will not be true and the case cannot be a counterexample.

I've written out a componentwise proof of the necessary part, but then I realised I mustn't post it, as that would be giving away part of the answer wholesale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted