What is the alternative form of the extrinsic curvature in Carroll App D?

In summary, Carroll App D shows that the alternative form of extrinsic curvature should take a few lines, starting with K_{\mu\nu}=P^{\alpha}_{\mu}P^{\beta}_{\nu}\nabla_{(\alpha}n_{\beta)} where P is the projection tensor, and n is the normal to the hypersurface. Next, expanding out using the definition of the projection operator, K_{\mu\nu}=\left(\delta^{\alpha}_{\mu}-\sigma n^{\alpha}n_{\mu}\right)\left(\delta^{\beta}_{\nu}-\s
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm working through Carroll App D, and trying to show the alternative form of the extrinsic curvature that he says should take a few lines.

Starting with [tex] K_{\mu\nu}=P^{\alpha}_{\mu}P^{\beta}_{\nu}\nabla_{(\alpha}n_{\beta)} [/tex] where P is the projection tensor, and n is the normal to the hypersurface.

Then I expand out using the definition of the projection operator:

[tex] K_{\mu\nu}=\left(\delta^{\alpha}_{\mu}-\sigma n^{\alpha}n_{\mu}\right)\left(\delta^{\beta}_{\nu}-\sigma n^{\beta}n_{\nu}\right) \nabla_{(\alpha}n_{\beta)} [/tex]

[tex] K_{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{(\mu}n_{\nu)}-\sigma n^{\beta}n_{\nu}\nabla_{(\mu}n_{\beta)} -\sigma n^{\alpha}n_{\mu}\nabla_{(\alpha}n_{\nu)}+n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}n^{\beta}\nabla_{(\alpha}n_{\beta)}[/tex]

focussing on the final term for a moment:

[tex]n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}n^{\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\beta}+n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}n^{\beta}\nabla_{\beta}n_{\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]=2n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}n^{\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\beta}[/tex]
[tex]=n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}n^{\beta}n_{\beta}[/tex]
[tex]=n_{\mu}n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}\sigma[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

(follows if n is parallel transported which I think it is). Getting rid of similar terms of the form [tex] n^{\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\beta} [/tex] by the same trick. Then I'm left with:

[tex] K_{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{(\mu}n_{\nu)}-\frac{1}{2}\sigma n_{\mu} n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha} n_{\nu} -\frac{1}{2}\sigma n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\mu} [/tex]

Now the only way I can think of proceeding is using the fact that n is hypersuface orthogonal [tex] n_{[\mu}\nabla_{\nu}n_{\sigma]}=0 [/tex]. If you expand this and contact it with say [tex]n^{\mu} [/tex], multiply through by sigma, and use the above trick to eliminate a couple of terms, I get:

[tex] \nabla_{[\nu}n_{\mu]}-\sigma n_{\nu} n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha} n_{\mu}+\sigma n_{\mu}n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\nu}=0[/tex]

Subbing this into the above:

[tex] K_{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{(\mu}n_{\nu)}+ \nabla_{[\nu}n_{\mu]}-\frac{1}{2}\sigma n_{\nu} n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha} n_{\mu}-\frac{1}{2}\sigma n_{\nu}n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\mu} [/tex]

which is almost the desired relation, maybe I've made a few algebraic errors. But does anyone know if my general method is correct? seems more than 'a few lines...'

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, oops I forgot to post that: [tex] K_{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{\mu}n_{\nu}-\sigma n_{\mu}a_{\nu} [/tex] where the acceleration [tex] a_{\nu}=n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}n_{\nu} [/tex]

With the method I was using I have managed to reproduce this now after correcting some factors of 2 I missed off and sign errors.

But I'm still kind of wondering about the assumptions I made: specifically [tex]n^{\alpha}\nabla_{\alpha}(n^{\beta}n_{\beta}) =0[/tex]. n here is the normal vector, and has norm [tex]n^{\beta}n_{\beta}=\pm 1 =\sigma[/tex], it seems almost common sense that this should vanish, but the fact that Carroll said we're not assuming the integral curves of [tex] n^{\mu} [/tex] are geodesics is making me think, is the character of n really conserved as we move along the integral curve? why should it be necessarily if the curve is not a geodesic?

Carroll himself uses a similar argument to arrive at the answer zero in another equation of the appendix (D.19) , where he has [tex] Y^{\nu}_{(i)}\nabla_{\nu}(n_{\mu}n^{\mu})=0[/tex], but there you are taking the directional derivative along the [tex] Y^{\mu}_{(i)} [/tex] basis vector direction, which are the basis on the hypersurface itself, so I suppose it makes sense the norm of the normal vector wouldn't change as you moved over the surface.

I seem to get the right answer, I just don't know if my method is actually sound.

Last edited:

Related to What is the alternative form of the extrinsic curvature in Carroll App D?

What is the Second Fundamental Form?

The Second Fundamental Form is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the curvature and shape of a surface in three-dimensional space.

How is the Second Fundamental Form calculated?

The Second Fundamental Form is calculated using the partial derivatives of the first fundamental form, which describes the intrinsic geometry of a surface.

What is the significance of the Second Fundamental Form?

The Second Fundamental Form is significant because it can be used to determine if a surface is convex or concave, and to calculate the principal curvatures and directions of a surface.

How is the Second Fundamental Form used in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, the Second Fundamental Form is used to study the properties of surfaces, such as the Gaussian curvature and the mean curvature, which are important in various applications in mathematics and physics.

Can the Second Fundamental Form be negative?

Yes, the Second Fundamental Form can be negative, positive, or zero, depending on the curvature of the surface. A negative Second Fundamental Form indicates a saddle point on the surface, while a positive Second Fundamental Form indicates a peak or valley.