1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental equation and state equations of the ideal gas

1. May 5, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the fundamental equation of a monoatomic ideal gas in the Helmholtz potential representation, in the enthalpy representation, and in the Gibbs function representation. Assume the fundamental equation [itex]S= \frac{NS_0}{N_0} +NR \ln \left [ \left ( \frac {U}{U_0} \right ) ^{3/2} \left ( \frac{V}{V_0} \right ) \left ( \frac {N}{N_0} \right ) ^{-5/2} \right ][/itex]. In each case find the equations of state by differentiation of the fundamental equation.

2. Relevant equations
    Helmholtz: F=U-TS. But F(T,V,N)
    PV=NRT.
    [itex]U=\frac{3NRT}{2}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first deal with Helmholtz.
    If I understand well, I must get F(T,V,N)=U-TS. I already have U in terms of T and N. The last task is therefore to get S in terms of T,V and N which seems easily made by using the given fundamental equation.
    It gives me [itex]F(T,V,N)=\frac {3NRT}{2}-T \{ NK_1 +NR \ln \left [ \left ( \frac{V}{V_0} \right ) \left ( NTK_2 \right ) ^{3/2} \left ( \frac{N}{N_0} \right ) ^{-5/2} \right ] \}[/itex].
    So far I wonder if my approach is a right one. Is it ok so far?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?