Fundamental frequencies and temperature

This conversation is about finding the necessary length of an open-closed organ pipe to produce a specific frequency at a given temperature. The equation for fundamental frequency of a closed pipe is v/4L, where v is the speed of sound in air and L is the length of the pipe. The equation for the speed of sound in air is v=k*sqrt(T), where T is the temperature and k is a constant. The question asks for the temperature at which the frequency will be a specific value, f, and it is assumed that the length of the pipe will remain the same. After some calculations, it is determined that the temperature must be divided by 16 to achieve the desired frequency.
Fallen Seraph

Homework Statement

The frequency of the note f_4 is f_F.
If an organ pipe is open at one end and closed at the other, what length must it have for its fundamental mode to produce this note at a temperature of T?

ans= v/(4*f_F), where v is the speed of sound in air.

Now the part which troubles me:

At what air temperature will the frequency be f? (Ignore the change in length of the pipe due to the temperature change.)

Homework Equations

(fundamental frequency)=v/4L where L is the length of a closed pipe.
and

v=k*sqrt(T) where k is a constant (suitable for this situation, nothing else is known/varying)

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial reaction was to say that since the wavelength in the closed pipe must remain the same (4*L) the frequency varies linearly with speed of sound. So for frequency to the divided by four, so must speed, for speed to be divided by four temperature must be divided by 4^2=16, so my answer was T/16. But I'm being told that this is wrong, and that the answer includes the variable "f".

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is asking for a temperature. I'm not sure what you've done so far but you should start from here;

[tex]F_{0}=\frac{k\sqrt{T}}{4L}[/tex]

Hmmmm... but surely that equation will just return the answer t/16?

Fallen Seraph said:
Hmmmm... but surely that equation will just return the answer t/16?
Reread the question. You want to get something of the form of T = ...

Fallen Seraph said:
But I'm being told that this is wrong, and that the answer includes the variable "f".
I think you're either misunderstanding this part of the question, or not paying close enough attention with the calculation.

Let me restate the question in a form that might help: If the fundamantal frequency is f_F at temperature T, then at what temperature is the fundamental frequency = f?

I'm afraid I'm really missing something here. I really cannot see what is wrong with this as a solution:

[tex]F(x)=\frac{k\sqrt{x}}{4L}[/tex] Where x is the temperature, F is the fundamental frequency.

For f= [tex]f_F[/tex] we have x = T.

so [tex]F(T)=\frac{k\sqrt{T}}{4L} = f_F[/tex]

we want to find y, where F(y)=f. We know that [tex]\frac{f_F}{4} = f[/tex]

so F(y)=F(T)= [tex]\frac{k\sqrt{y}}{4L} = \frac{k\sqrt{T}}{16L} [/tex]

Which eventually gives y = T/16. I know it's a bit long winded for what it's actually doing, but I can't see what's wrong with it...

Fallen Seraph said:
We know that [tex]\frac{f_F}{4} = f[/tex]
And how do we know this?

well I assumed that if f_F was f_4, then it's the fourth harmonic of f, so f_4=4f. Is this an incorrect assumption?

gah. so it is. that's a bit frustrating... ah well. thanks a lot for the help and time.

1. What is the relationship between fundamental frequencies and temperature?

The relationship between fundamental frequencies and temperature is known as the thermal expansion effect. As temperature increases, the molecules of a substance vibrate more vigorously, causing them to take up more space. This increase in molecular movement results in an increase in the fundamental frequency of the substance.

2. How does temperature affect the fundamental frequency of a material?

As the temperature of a material increases, the atoms and molecules within the material move faster and vibrate more vigorously. This increased movement causes the fundamental frequency of the material to increase. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the fundamental frequency decreases as well.

3. Why is the study of fundamental frequencies and temperature important?

The study of fundamental frequencies and temperature is important because it helps us understand the behavior of different materials under varying temperatures. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as material science, engineering, and thermodynamics.

4. Can the fundamental frequency of a material be changed by altering its temperature?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of a material can be changed by altering its temperature. As discussed earlier, an increase in temperature causes an increase in molecular movement and therefore an increase in fundamental frequency. Similarly, a decrease in temperature results in a decrease in fundamental frequency.

5. How is the fundamental frequency of a material affected by extreme temperatures?

At extreme temperatures, the behavior of materials can change significantly. At very high temperatures, materials can melt or even vaporize, causing a dramatic increase in their fundamental frequency. On the other hand, at very low temperatures, materials can become brittle and lose their ability to vibrate, resulting in a decrease in fundamental frequency.