1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental group of RP^n by recurrence?

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fundamental group of RP^n by recurrence!?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    That's it. Find the fundamental group of RP^n by recurrence.

3. The attempt at a solution

It's just obvious to me that it's Z/2 no matter n but what is this recurrence argument that I'm supposed to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you write RP^n as the union of copies of RP^m for m<n? Then you can use the Seifert Van Kampen theorem.

EG you can show the fundamental group of R^n is trivial by saying R^n= R^{n-1}uR^{n-1}, picking the first and last n-1 coordinates, the intersection being R^{n-2} thus by induction the fundamental group is e amalgam e over e.

Or more interestingly, you can show that the fundamental group of the bouquet of n copies of S^1 is F_n the free group on n generators.

You can probably do the torus with n holes in it if you wanted to, though it requires a bit more thought.

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I found [tex]\mathbb{R}P^n= \mathbb{R}P^{n-1}\cup B_n[/tex] (where B_n is the unit open ball) but this is only true as sets. The topology is wrong because in [tex]\mathbb{R}P^{n-1}\cup B_n[/tex], [tex]\mathbb{R}P^{n-1}[/tex] is open, but it's not supposed to be in [tex]\mathbb{R}P^n[/tex]. Plus, the intersection is void.

Anyway, I got something else though. [tex]\mathbb{R}P^n\approx \mathbb{R}P^{n-1}\times \overline{B}_{n-1}[/tex]. And this, we've seen in class, implies that
    [tex]\pi_1(\mathbb{R}P^n)=\pi_1(\mathbb{R}P^{n-1})\times \pi_1(\overline{B}_{n-1})=\pi_1(\mathbb{R}P^{n-1})\times \{e\}=\pi_1(\mathbb{R}P^{n-1})[/tex]

Tadam!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?