Solve the recurrence relation using iteration

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem using mathematical induction. They are unfamiliar with the formula for the sum of a geometric series, so they need to find someone who can help them.
cilla

Homework Statement

[/B]
Solve the recurrence relation (use iteration).

an = an-1 + 1 + 2n-1
a0 = 0

Then prove the solution by mathematical induction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a1 = 2
a2 = 5
a3 = 10
a4 = 19
a5 = 36

The solution appears to be an = n + 2n - 1

How are we supposed to get that though? I just guessed and did trial and error. That's really the only/primary way?

Also, what are the properties of this recurrence relation (e.g., linear, homogeneous, etc.)? Why?

Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn't know where it belongs if not here.

So how do I prove (or disprove, since I've only tried it out for so many of these) my solution using induction?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]a_1 = a_0 + 1 + 2^0 = 1 + (2 - 1)[/itex]
[itex]a_2 = a_1 + 1 + 2^1 = 1 + 2^0 + 1 + 2^1 = 2 + (1 + 2) = 2 + (4 - 1)[/itex]
[itex]a_3 = a_2 + 1 + 2^2 = 2 + (1 + 2) + 1 + 2^2 = 3 + (1 + 2 + 4) = 3 + (8 - 1)[/itex]
etc...

Can you spot any patterns?

cilla said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Solve the recurrence relation (use iteration).

an = an-1 + 1 + 2n-1
a0 = 0

Then prove the solution by mathematical induction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a1 = 2
a2 = 5
a3 = 10
a4 = 19
a5 = 36

The solution appears to be an = n + 2n - 1

How are we supposed to get that though? I just guessed and did trial and error. That's really the only/primary way?

Also, what are the properties of this recurrence relation (e.g., linear, homogeneous, etc.)? Why?

Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn't know where it belongs if not here.

So how do I prove (or disprove, since I've only tried it out for so many of these) my solution using induction?

Thank you so much.

Use the fact that ##a_n - a_1 = (a_n - a_{n-1}) + (a_{n-1} - a_{n-2}) + \cdots + (a_2 - a_1)##, and you have a formula for ##a_k - a_{k-1}##.

pasmith said:
[itex]a_1 = a_0 + 1 + 2^0 = 1 + (2 - 1)[/itex]
[itex]a_2 = a_1 + 1 + 2^1 = 1 + 2^0 + 1 + 2^1 = 2 + (1 + 2) = 2 + (4 - 1)[/itex]
[itex]a_3 = a_2 + 1 + 2^2 = 2 + (1 + 2) + 1 + 2^2 = 3 + (1 + 2 + 4) = 3 + (8 - 1)[/itex]
etc...

Can you spot any patterns?
Yeah that's what I did.

So how do I prove my solution by induction?

Ray Vickson said:
Use the fact that ##a_n - a_1 = (a_n - a_{n-1}) + (a_{n-1} - a_{n-2}) + \cdots + (a_2 - a_1)##, and you have a formula for ##a_k - a_{k-1}##.
What's that formula for though?

For proof by induction I need to make ##a_{k+1} = (k+1) + 2^{k+1} -1## right?

cilla said:
Yeah that's what I did.

Are you claiming that you have never seen the formula for ##\sum_{k=1}^n r^k##? You can look in books or on-line for an answer.

HInt: geometric series.

Last edited:
cilla said:
What does linear mean? What does homogeneous mean? These are basic definitions you should look up for yourself.

cilla said:
cilla said:
For proof by induction I need to make ##a_{k+1} = (k+1) + 2^{k+1} -1## right?
There's a bit more to it. There are two parts to a proof by induction. Do you know what they are? If not, you should find out what they are. Apparently, this is something you're already supposed to know.

vela said:
What does linear mean? What does homogeneous mean? These are basic definitions you should look up for yourself.
There's a bit more to it. There are two parts to a proof by induction. Do you know what they are? If not, you should find out what they are. Apparently, this is something you're already supposed to know.
Yeah. I know. You do the base step, then the induction step. I didn't have the starting form right, was confused about what I was supposed to actually be proving... I was just thinking to prove the k+1 part but what I'm supposed to be proving is that the initial recurrence relation formula given is equal to the one I got. Once I realized that (I know, seems painfully obvious), I got it. Thanks.

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is an equation or set of equations that defines a sequence of values. Each term in the sequence is defined in terms of one or more previous terms in the sequence.

2. What is iteration?

Iteration is the process of repeating a set of instructions or operations a certain number of times or until a specific condition is met. In the context of solving recurrence relations, iteration involves repeatedly applying a formula or algorithm to find the values of the sequence.

3. How do you solve a recurrence relation using iteration?

The general process for solving a recurrence relation using iteration is to first write out the initial terms of the sequence and then use a formula or algorithm to calculate subsequent terms. The calculated values are then used to find a pattern and create a general formula for the sequence.

4. What are some common techniques used in iteration to solve recurrence relations?

Some common techniques used in iteration to solve recurrence relations include substitution, telescoping, and generating functions. These techniques involve manipulating the recurrence relation and re-writing it in a simpler form to make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to solving recurrence relations using iteration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using iteration to solve recurrence relations. The technique can become increasingly complex and time-consuming for more complicated recurrence relations, and it may not always be possible to find a closed-form solution. In these cases, alternative methods such as using generating functions or solving the recurrence relation using recursion may be more effective.