Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental groups and arcwise connected spaces.

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    If a space X is arcwise connected, then for any two points p and q in X the fundamental groups ##\pi_1(X,p)## and ##\pi_1(X,q)## are isomorphic. This means that we can, up to isomorphisms, identify both groups with their equivalence class ##\pi_1(X)##.

I started to think about the generality of this theorem. Is there any interesting/important spaces which are not arcwise connected except for the union of two disjoint spaces etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2
    Any Hausdorff space that is not path-connected is also not arc-connected. Therefore, the so-called "Topologist's Sine Curve," a relatively important topological space, is not arc-connected.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not a relatively important topological space, since it serves more as a counterexample than as something worth studying on its own. Sure, it's a nice and important counterexample, but that's it. It's not a topological space central to algebraic topology like topological manifolds.

5. Mar 25, 2014 #4
    Meh. It was the first Hausdorff space that isn't path-connected that came to mind. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with micro, though. It isn't important itself. Come to think of it, off the top of my head, I can't think of any particularly "important" spaces that are not arc-connected.

As a side note, topological manifolds are locally arc-connected (since they are Hausdorff and locally path-connected).

6. Mar 27, 2014 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is the definition of "important"? what about the rational numbers? some people think they are important. we need more details to answer this, i think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook