Fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed

In summary, the conversation discusses the homotopy equivalence of a space to the complement of the three coordinate axes in ##R^3## and how to choose open sets for the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem. The group structure of the fundamental group is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is the free product of 5 copies of ##\mathbb{Z}## and the first homology group is the free abelian group ##\mathbb{Z}^5##.
PsychonautQQ
This space is homotopy equivalent to the complement of the three coordinate axes in ##R^3##.

This is in the chapter about the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem, so I'm expecting to invoke that theorem.

The thing is, how should we choose our open sets such that the intersection is path connected and that we can compute the fundamental groups of each open set?

Anyone want to help me get started on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you're considering other approaches, but, since the sphere ( I assume you're talking 'bout the 2-sphere ) is the plane with 5 points removed. If you deformation -retract you get 5 loops attached pairwise at a point. I think that gives you a free product. EDIT: You basically start "peeling off" about a removed point until you cannot go further in a continuous way once you hit the part peeled about another removed point. Think n=1, then you don't have any obstacles and you can remove "everything" , leaving a circle. With two points removed, you hit a barrier, ending up with two circles wedged at one point, etc. This gives you a homotopy equivalence with a wedge of circles.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
I don't know if you're considering other approaches, but, since the sphere ( I assume you're talking 'bout the 2-sphere ) is the plane with 5 points removed. If you deformation -retract you get 5 loops attached pairwise at a point. I think that gives you a free product. EDIT: You basically start "peeling off" about a removed point until you cannot go further in a continuous way once you hit the part peeled about another removed point. Think n=1, then you don't have any obstacles and you can remove "everything" , leaving a circle. With two points removed, you hit a barrier, ending up with two circles wedged at one point, etc. This gives you a homotopy equivalence with a wedge of circles.
Yeah, I see. I don't think this is a free product on 6 generators though, because that would be if all the circles share a common point. In this case, they will be connected pairwise. I don't know what this group would look like.

PsychonautQQ said:
Yeah, I see. I don't think this is a free product on 6 generators though, because that would be if all the circles share a common point. In this case, they will be connected pairwise. I don't know what this group would look like.
I think this is your bouquet of circles. Each loop in one of the circle can be combined with a loop in one of the others as ## a^nb^mc^pd^q e^r ## , a free group on 5 ( n, in general) elements ## \{ a,b,c,d,e \} ##. But let @lavinia verify and give you a more rigorous account on this.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Think of the sphere as the surface of a cube. Its edges are a strong deformation retract of the sphere minus the six centers of the cube's faces.

Likes PsychonautQQ
lavinia said:
Think of the sphere as the surface of a cube. Its edges are a strong deformation retract of the sphere minus the six centers of the cube's faces.
The two, cube , sphere are actually even homeomorphic, not just homotopic. Though, of course, not diffeomorphic.

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
The two, cube , sphere are actually even homeomorphic, not just homotopic. Though, of course, not diffeomorphic.

Right. Here we are thinking of the sphere as a topological manifold.

@PsychonautQQ Each face minus a point retracts continuously onto its edge square. If one takes away a point from each of the six faces then the whole thing retracts onto the framework of edge squares,the 1 skeleton of the cube. This is a homotopy equivalence.

BTW: A quick homology calculation on the 1 skeleton shows that the fundamental group cannot be the free group on six generators - as you argued above. The same calculation works for the fundamental group but it is a little messier.

- Some other numbers of removed points can be handled in the same way. For instance, the sphere minus four points retracts onto the 1 skeleton of a tetrahedron.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
lavinia said:
Right. Here we are thinking of the sphere as a topological manifold.BTW: A quick homology calculation on the 1 skeleton shows that the fundamental group cannot be the free group on six generators - as you argued above. The same calculation works for the fundamental group but it is a little messier.

Notice I mentioned the free group on 5 generators, not six.

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
Notice I mentioned the free group on 5 generators, not six.

Yes i know.

Likes PsychonautQQ
lavinia said:
Yes i know.
But you claimed that my statement that the fundamental group on 6 generators is incorrect
lavinia said:
BTW: A quick homology calculation on the 1 skeleton shows that the fundamental group cannot be the free group on six generators - as you argued above. The same calculation works for the fundamental group but it is a little messier.

Is it also incorrect that the fundamental group is the free group on 5 generators?

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
But you claimed that my statement that the fundamental group on 6 generators is incorrect Is it also incorrect that the fundamental group is the free group on 5 generators?
Not completely sure.

The 1 skeleton of the cube has six squares each of which is a cycle. It is easy to show that the difference of any two of them that are on opposite sides of the cube are homologous to the sum of other four. So the first homology has at most five generators. If the 1 skeleton were a bouquet of six loops then the first homology would be the free abelian group on six generators. But I haven't worked out the whole thing - leaving something for the OP. But It seems that you are right.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ and WWGD
The space is, like WWGD explained, homotopy equivalent with a bouquet of 5 circles, and the fundamental group is the free product of 5 copies of [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Regarding the first homology group, this is the abelianization of [itex]\pi_1[/itex], hence the free abelian group [itex]\mathbb{Z}^5[/itex] (which can independently be verified using Alexander duality).

Likes WWGD
disregardthat said:
The space is, like WWGD explained, homotopy equivalent with a bouquet of 5 circles, and the fundamental group is the free product of 5 copies of [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Regarding the first homology group, this is the abelianization of [itex]\pi_1[/itex], hence the free abelian group [itex]\mathbb{Z}^5[/itex] (which can independently be verified using Alexander duality).

Proof?

lavinia said:
Proof?

Of the homotopy equivalence? WWGD explained it perfectly in post #2.

disregardthat said:
Of the homotopy equivalence? WWGD explained it perfectly in post #2.
Right. I got that.

But I don't see the retraction off the top of my head. If you draw the five loops around the removed points the interiors retract onto the loops. What about the exterior? Maybe I am stupid but I didn't see how to do this.

Last edited:
lavinia said:
Right. I got that.

But I don't see the retraction off the top of my head. If you draw the five loops around the removed points the interiors retract onto the loops. What about the exterior? Maybe I am stupid but I didn't see how to do this.

One can consider a disk containing all 5 points on the interior, and deformation retract down to its boundary. Then draw 5 disks containing each point but none of the others, and deformation retract to their boundaries. Now you're left with a big closed disk with 5 holes in it (it is a closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]). Now it should be easy to visualize how this can be deformed into a wedge of 5 circles. For example, arrange the smaller disks homeomorphically so that their centers form small neighborhoods of the vertices of a regular pentagon. Let P be the center of the pentagon, and deform the boundary of the smaller disks so that they intersect at P. The boundaries of the smaller (deformed) disks now form a wedge of 5 circles, so next its simply a matter of deformation retracting the large disk onto it.

EDIT: More easily perhaps, and in a way that makes the wedge of circles a deformation retract of the initial space, is to start out with [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with 5 points removed, and homeomorphically align the points to the vertices of a regular pentagon, and then draw a 5 loops around each point intersecting only at the center P. Then one deformation retracts down to this.

1. What is the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed?

The fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all continuous loops on the sphere with those 6 points removed. It is denoted by π1(S² - {p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6}), where S² represents the sphere and {p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6} represents the 6 points that have been removed.

2. How is the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed calculated?

The fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed can be calculated using algebraic topology techniques such as the Van Kampen theorem or the Seifert-van Kampen theorem. These theorems use the fundamental groups of simpler spaces, such as circles and spheres, to calculate the fundamental group of more complex spaces.

3. What are the applications of the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed?

The fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of knot theory, which has applications in molecular biology and chemistry. It also has applications in topology, geometry, and differential equations.

4. Can the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed be different for different choices of removed points?

No, the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed is a topological invariant, meaning it does not change under continuous deformations. Therefore, the fundamental group will be the same regardless of which 6 points are removed from the sphere.

5. How does the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed relate to the fundamental group of a sphere?

The fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed is a subgroup of the fundamental group of the sphere. This means that every element in the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed is also an element of the fundamental group of the sphere. However, the fundamental group of a sphere with 6 points removed may have additional elements that are not present in the fundamental group of the sphere.