1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental theorem of algebra

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two versions of the fundamental theorem of algebra, one that says a polynomial of degree n has n roots and the other that says a polynomial can be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Is there a quick way to see how they are the same?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The 2nd version is talking within the real numbers ie A polynomial with real coefficients can be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors over R.

The first version is the same because the factor theorem says that for P(x), if g is a root then (x-a) is a factor. We can use the quadratic formula too see that any quadratic factor can be factored into linear factors, if factored over C instead of R.

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    I see why the second version implies the first version. I do not see why the first version implies the second version.

How do you know that you can get rid of all of the factors (x - a) where a is complex, since the 2nd version really says that A polynomial with real coefficients can be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic with real coefficients.

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O yes I forgot about that implication. Remember the complex conjugate theorem, which states the for polynomials with real coefficients, complex roots will come in conjugate pairs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?