Fundamentally why require causality?

• Thread starter 5not42!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Causality
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of causality and its role in theories such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory. The question is raised as to why causality is considered a prerequisite for a "good theory" and whether a more general theory could be developed in which causality is just a special case. Some colleagues argue that causality is axiomatic and there is no evidence to the contrary, but the same could be said for phenomena such as tunneling. The fundamental argument for insisting on causality is also discussed, along with the idea of acausal theories and their predictability. The conversation also touches on the concept of local causality and its relationship to quantum mechanics, as well as the possibility of
5not42!
I have been wondering for some time now why causality is a prerequisite for every "good theory" all the way from classical mechanics, to QM, even in QFT the correlators for spacelike separated interactions cancel out.
Now, since we usually take make a general theory and then usually simplify, consider special cases, etc, why not assume a general theory at the quantum level of which causality is just a special case ?
To clarify my thoughts, my question arises from debates with colleagues who said it might just be axiomatic since we have not seen any evidence to the contrary. However, the same holds for tunneling, so why not assume a more general theory in which non-causal interactions are simply exponentially suppressed as we approach macroscopic scales and build a theory from that ?
What is the fundamental argument for insisting on causality ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because an acausal theory is not predictive.

5not42! said:
To clarify my thoughts, my question arises from debates with colleagues who said it might just be axiomatic since we have not seen any evidence to the contrary. However, the same holds for tunneling
Tunneling has been observed in many experiments.

A general acausal theory does not allow to make clear predictions, at least not beyond self-consistency.

First of all, many thanks for your answers.
Based on your answers, I would like to recycle my question to why would an acausal theory be incapable of predictions ?
The way I see it, we could build a theory of which (in set theory language) subset A is causal, and subset B acausal. Therefore in A we look at causes and predict effects while in B we look at effects and predict causes. Both are predictive and "effect" and "cause" seem to be somewhat arbitrary definitions.
Also, this seems to respect the conditions of the Novikov self-consistency, or in the worst case, simply act as an advocate for the many-worlds interpretation.

5not42! said:
why not assume a general theory at the quantum level of which causality is just a special case ?

How are you defining "causality"? In QFT, the definition of "causality" is not "nothing can travel faster than light"; it is "field operators must commute at spacelike separations" (which is basically what you are referring to when you say the "correlators cancel out" at spacelike separations). So QFT itself is the "general theory at the quantum level", of which classical "causality", i.e., the "nothing can travel faster than light" sense of "causality", is a special case.

5not42! said:
why would an acausal theory be incapable of predictions ?

Once again, how are you defining an "acausal theory"? It seems like you are defining it as "effects predict causes" as opposed to "causes predict effects", but that's not correct. In a completely deterministic theory (which classical SR and GR are), you can use effects to "predict" causes, in the sense that you can run solutions backwards in time just as easily as forwards. That doesn't make the theory "acausal"; SR and GR are both theories with causality (in the classical "nothing can travel faster than light" sense).

5not42! said:
in A we look at causes and predict effects while in B we look at effects and predict causes. Both are predictive and "effect" and "cause" seem to be somewhat arbitrary definitions.

In a completely deterministic theory, they are, yes; see above.

Likes bhobba
Where do you get the effects in B from?
If A and B are completely separated, then you could "invert the timeline" in B (as a mathematical trick) and get something with (mathematically) "inverted causality", but that would still be causal. The problem arises from closed circles of influence (closed timelike curves in the context of general relativity), where you cannot work step by step.

5not42! said:
I have been wondering for some time now why causality is a prerequisite for every "good theory" all the way from classical mechanics, to QM, even in QFT the correlators for spacelike separated interactions cancel out.
Now, since we usually take make a general theory and then usually simplify, consider special cases, etc, why not assume a general theory at the quantum level of which causality is just a special case ?
To clarify my thoughts, my question arises from debates with colleagues who said it might just be axiomatic since we have not seen any evidence to the contrary. However, the same holds for tunneling, so why not assume a more general theory in which non-causal interactions are simply exponentially suppressed as we approach macroscopic scales and build a theory from that ?
What is the fundamental argument for insisting on causality ?

If by "the correlators for spacelike separated interactions cancel out" you mean that observables at spacelike separation commute (ie. classical information cannot be transmitted faster than light), then that is not a requirement in quantum theory, only in relativistic quantum theory. In non-relativistic quantum theory, there are things like the "Lieb-Robinson bounds" which in some sense say that non-causal interactions are exponentially suppressed. In such a quantum theory, it is possible in principle to transmit information faster than light.

Another line of thinking is to use the Bell inequalities, which rule out quantum mechanics as a theory obeying local causality. Relativistic quantum theory is not locally causal, but is "signal local" in that faster than light signalling is not permitted. Is quantum theory the most general theory that is not locally causal, but still signal local? As Popescu and Rohrlich showed in http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9508009v1, it is not. So why doesn't quantun theory violate local causality even more strongly within the bounds of signal locality? Some thoughts are given in http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.1142v1 and http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.3744.

Can quantum mechanics be consistent in the presence of closed timelike curves? There is discussion and pointers to the literature in http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.4751.

Last edited:
Likes wabbit, kith, dextercioby and 1 other person
Wow, I will need some time to go through the literature, thank you all very much for your thoughts.

1. What is causality?

Causality refers to the relationship between cause and effect, where a cause is the reason or explanation for an event or outcome, and the effect is the result of that cause. In scientific research, causality is used to understand how one variable affects another.

2. Why is causality important in scientific research?

Causality is important in scientific research because it allows us to establish a cause-effect relationship between variables. This helps us to understand the underlying mechanisms and processes that drive certain phenomena, and can ultimately lead to the development of effective interventions and treatments.

3. How do scientists determine causality?

Scientists use various methods and study designs, such as randomized controlled trials, to determine causality. These methods involve manipulating or controlling certain variables to establish a cause-effect relationship. Additionally, scientists also consider other factors, such as confounding variables and the strength of the relationship, to determine causality.

4. Can correlation imply causation?

No, correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Just because two variables are correlated, it does not mean that one causes the other. There could be other factors at play that are responsible for the observed relationship between the variables.

5. Why is it important to establish causality in research?

Establishing causality in research is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions and draw valid conclusions based on the evidence. It also helps to avoid making false assumptions or drawing incorrect conclusions that could potentially have negative consequences.