Future of Nuclear Industry in Canada

In summary, based on the conversation regarding events in Japan, Bruce Power leaving Alberta, and CANDU reactors being sold to SNC-Lavalin, there is a discussion about the future of nuclear power and whether there will be a nuclear renaissance. Some believe that nuclear power is necessary to meet the energy needs of the growing population, while others have concerns about safety and public perception. It is suggested that those interested in the field should consider taking control and instrumentation courses, as well as gaining knowledge in other disciplines to be a valuable asset in the industry.
doublemint
Give what happened in Japan, Bruce Power leaving Alberta and CANDU reactors sold to SNC-Lavalin, what do you guys think?

I am planning to do graduate studies in Nuke Eng, but given what is going on Canada, I might have to rethink my plans, unless you guys believe some sort of nuclear renaissance will happen.

DM

Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot see anything that would provide the energy that 7+ billion people need other than nuclear.
Imho this is a little bit like coming into Wall Street after the 1974 bear market, a great time to be getting really good at the profession, because by the time you graduate, the need will be even more inescapable.

doublemint said:
Give what happened in Japan, Bruce Power leaving Alberta and CANDU reactors sold to SNC-Lavalin, what do you guys think?

I am planning to do graduate studies in Nuke Eng, but given what is going on Canada, I might have to rethink my plans, unless you guys believe some sort of nuclear renaissance will happen.

Thanks to previous generation on nuclear industry as a whole which failed to prevent large-scale disasters, nuclear power generation seriously risks eventually being supplanted by renewables.

I hope after F1 nuclear industry will finally understand: meltdowns are NOT tolerable - politically and socially. They must be prevented. Reactors must be made safer still. If nuclear industry will get it, then it maybe still has a chance.

I personally thnk there will be a nuclear renaissance but I'm no "see-er".

If nuclear power interests you, consider take control courses and look into instrumentation side of things.
In US a typical power plant employs just a couple nuclear engineers but scores of mechanical and electrical. Somebody who has knowledge of electronics, control theory, some basic mechanical (Statics & dynamics & strength of materials) and fundamentals of reactor physics is quite useful to a plant not only just those skills but as a catalyst, helping other disciplines cpmmunicate.
And those skills would transfer to any mechanized industry.

Synergy. It makes industry run smoother.

etudiant said:
I cannot see anything that would provide the energy that 7+ billion people need other than nuclear.
Imho this is a little bit like coming into Wall Street after the 1974 bear market, a great time to be getting really good at the profession, because by the time you graduate, the need will be even more inescapable.

I like the sound of this. However, I find that many people (the general public) are frighten by nuclear activists causing them to go against building any nuclear power plants.
There was a poster I saw at my university that said many people in Alberta are against nuclear power especially after Fukushima. Furthermore, these power plants take a very long time to build.
So I am skeptical about whether if there will be a great demand for nuclear engineers/scientists when I graduate.

jim hardy said:
I personally thnk there will be a nuclear renaissance but I'm no "see-er".

If nuclear power interests you, consider take control courses and look into instrumentation side of things.
In US a typical power plant employs just a couple nuclear engineers but scores of mechanical and electrical. Somebody who has knowledge of electronics, control theory, some basic mechanical (Statics & dynamics & strength of materials) and fundamentals of reactor physics is quite useful to a plant not only just those skills but as a catalyst, helping other disciplines cpmmunicate.
And those skills would transfer to any mechanized industry.

Synergy. It makes industry run smoother.

Thats a good idea. I think I could take some of those courses during my masters..

1. What is the current state of the nuclear industry in Canada?

The nuclear industry in Canada is currently in a state of transition. While there are currently 19 operating nuclear reactors in Canada, only a few new reactors have been built in recent years. However, there are plans for expansion and modernization of existing nuclear facilities in the near future.

2. What are the benefits of nuclear energy in Canada?

Nuclear energy provides a reliable source of low-carbon electricity, making it an important part of Canada's efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the nuclear industry contributes to the economy through job creation and export opportunities.

3. How does Canada ensure the safety of its nuclear facilities?

Canada has a robust regulatory framework in place to ensure the safety of its nuclear facilities. This includes regular inspections, strict licensing requirements, and emergency preparedness plans. The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is responsible for regulating the nuclear industry and enforcing safety standards.

4. What role does nuclear energy play in Canada's energy mix?

Nuclear energy currently accounts for approximately 15% of Canada's electricity generation. It is expected to continue to play a significant role in the country's energy mix, especially as Canada works towards reducing its reliance on fossil fuels and meeting its emission reduction targets.

5. What are the challenges facing the future of the nuclear industry in Canada?

One of the main challenges facing the nuclear industry in Canada is the high cost of building and operating new nuclear reactors. There are also concerns about the long-term management of nuclear waste and the potential for accidents or safety breaches. However, with advancements in technology and ongoing research, these challenges can be addressed and overcome in the future.