1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G must have an element with no fixed point when there is only one orbit

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    I am studying for a modterm on Monday and asking for help on the homework questions I got WRONG on my problem sets (so I can hopefully improve my understanding and see my mistake). This is my reworked version of the incorrect HW problem and I would like to know if I am on the right track...

Let G be a finite group operating on a set S ( |S| >=2 ). Suppose there exists only one orbit. Prove there exists an x \in G which has no fixed point (ie xs \neq s for all s \in S)

Relevant theorem
    Let G be a group operating on a set S and s \in S . Then the order of the orbit Gs is equal to the index of G_s (stabalizer group or isotropy group in Lang) in G

My attempt
    Suppose every point in G has a fixed point. Then for every x \in G, xs=s \in S. From this (G:G_s) =1. **Since there is only one orbit, (G:G_s)=|S| which implies |S|=1, a contradiction.

I have a feeling that my argument falls apart at **. Any guidance to the flaws inmky logic and/or understanding would be useful. I am working from Lang's Algebra (graduate level).
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2
    I don't think the stabilizer group will be too useful here.
    G_s = g \in G such that gs=s.
    This statement of yours is wrong:
    "suppose every point in G has a fixed point. Then for every g \in G, gs=s \in S."

you are getting your quantifiers mixed up. it should be

"suppose every point in G has a fixed point. Then for every g \in G, there exists s\in S such that gs=s \in S."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook