Gaah finding a power series out of a function

In summary, the function f(x) is the sum of a power series and can be represented by (7x-1)/(3x^2 +2x-1). The function has an interval of convergence of (-1,1) and can be factored to (7x-1)/(3x-1)*1/(1+x).
geomajor
1. Express the function as the sum of a power series by first using partial fractions. Find the interval of convergence.

f(x)= (7x-1)/(3x^2 +2x-1)

2. using the fact that 1/(1-x) =[tex]\sum[/tex] from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=0 of x^n and the interval for convergence of that is (-1,1)

3. I know that (7x-1)/(3x^2 +2x-1) can be factored to (7x-1)/(3x-1)*1/(1+x).

So, using the idea of partial fractions and the method for changing functions into power series, 1/(1+x) would become 1/(1-(-x)).

Let u=-x so that [tex]\sum[/tex] from infinity to n=0 is (-1)^n*x^n , interval of convergence is (-1,1).

But I know don't know how to do (7x-1)/(3x-1). Is there some way to rewrite that? Like (1-7x)/(1-3x), but I still wouldn't know what to substitute...(-7/3)x? At the end I would have the sum of two series, right?? Help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can use (7x-1)/(3x^2 +2x-1)

to be equal to [tex]\frac{A}{3x-1} + \frac{B}{x+1}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{A(x+1)+B(3x-1)}{(3x-1)(1+x)}=\frac{7x-1}{(3x-1)(1+x)}[/tex]

then equate numerators and find the values for A and B
then put the 2 partial fractions as power series and use the operations that you can do on a power series to put them into one complete series

Okay, so I have 1/(3x-1) + 2/(x+1)

when I went through and did all the work, I got this

(1/2)[tex]\sum[/tex](-1)^n(x)^n - [tex]\sum[/tex](3)^n(x)^n

Now when I put them together would I get ...

(-1/2) [tex]\sum[/tex][(-1)^n -(3)^n]x^n ...?

I'm not sure about that 1/2 thing... because I'm not sure if 2/(1+x) really = (1/2)[tex]\sum[/tex] (-x)^n. I want to know for sure because I have an exam in a couple days and my professor had to rush over the last few things we learned about series, which leaves me worried about making stupid small mistakes that could be easily avoided!

well if you can represent [tex]\frac{1}{1+x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^nx^n[/tex] then 2/(1+x) should be 2 by the power series

oh duh! 2 not 1/2! I don't know what I was thinking...

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form Σn=0 cn xn, where cn are coefficients and x is a variable.

Why is finding a power series for a function useful?

Finding a power series for a function allows us to approximate the values of the function at any point in its domain. This can be useful in solving differential equations and calculating integrals.

How do you find a power series for a function?

To find a power series for a function, we use the process of Taylor series expansion. This involves finding the derivatives of the function at a specific point, and then plugging those values into the power series formula.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a power series expansion of a function around any point, while a Maclaurin series is a power series expansion around x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series.

When can a power series be used to represent a function?

A power series can be used to represent a function when it converges to the function's values for all or a portion of its domain. This is known as the radius of convergence, and it can be determined using various tests such as the ratio test or the root test.