1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game theory: Optimal Strategy. Need help with a system of equations.

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    This problem is not schoolwork, it is from "The Mathematics of Poker". I have three equations based off a 3x3 Rock, Paper, Scissors payout table where winning with scissors is given a +2 payout instead of +1.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the solution to the system of equations

2. Relevant equations
    -b+c
    a-2c
    -a+2b

3. The attempt at a solution
    a=2b=2c
    *This answer is stated in the book, but I do not know how the answer arrived from
    the system of equations, as the book does not explain the mathematics.

It looks like this is dealing with derivatives,
    but I have not worked with those.

Could somebody explain how the answer was computed?

Thanks for the help,
    I want to solve more games
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    I just do not know how to compute that reduced system of equations that I have into the correct answer. The actual math is beyond me.

On the poker website, he is using simple EV equations, but the answer in the book for my game comes out looking like it came from some other process.

That author you pulled up has some really heady stuff on optimal play in poker (some of which I use), but ironically, I was just trying to use the simpler examples in my book to help me solve simpler day to day things with game theory for fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook