1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma Ray Energy from Decay of Boron

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to figure how many beta particles are released and how much energy is released as gamma rays in the complete decay of 1000 atoms of (12/5) Boron.

2. Relevant equations

Mass of one boron atom is 10.811 g. I think we may be able to use E = mc^2 somehow but I'm not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer the book gives is that 1000 beta particles are released and 88 MeV of energy is released as gamma rays. The first seems obvious because (12/5) boron decays into (12/6) C + an electron. So if you have 1000 atoms you will have 1000 electrons / beta particles. The second I'm not so sure of. How can you calculate the energy released as gamma rays from just this information?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2
    Never mind, I figured it out :)

There were 1000 initial atoms and 2% of them emit energy in the form of gamma rays at 4.4 MeV.

So 1000 x 0.02 x 4.4 MeV = 88 MeV
    Huzzah, huzzah u_u it feels good to solve your own problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook