Gamma Ray Spectroscopy - 97 keV Peak for U238 Metal

In summary, the gamma ray peak around 97 keV is prominent in U-238 metal samples and is likely being generated by a process unknown to researchers.
Developer_CM
I recently acquired a 39 gram sample of U-238 metal. I ran a gamma spectrum on the sample and found a major peak around 97 keV. I couldn't find any documents that mentioned this peak for U-238, but it is very prominent.

I ran a gamma ray spectrum on a 5 gram Uranium Oxide sample and it also exhibits the gamma ray peak around 97 keV.

Does anyone know how this gamma-ray peak is being generated? I've looked at the decay chain for U-238, but could not find any references to a 97 keV peak.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Developer_CM said:
Does anyone know how this gamma-ray peak is being generated? I've looked at the decay chain for U-238, but could not find any references to a 97 keV peak.

well i became curious also and a google search gave me an spectra of uranium soil sample and there was a good peak at around 100 keV
you may see the following
http://www.stratamodel.com/gamma.htm
i will look further to elicit more info ;thanks

Likes Developer_CM
Thanks,

I will visit the link and review the information.

Indeed. These K transitions appear to be right near the measured 97 keV peak. Thanks for the reply.

1. What is gamma ray spectroscopy?

Gamma ray spectroscopy is a technique used to identify and quantify the elements present in a sample by measuring the energy and intensity of gamma rays emitted by the sample.

2. What is the 97 keV peak in gamma ray spectroscopy?

The 97 keV peak is a characteristic peak that is observed in the gamma ray spectrum of U238 metal. It is caused by the emission of a gamma ray with an energy of 97 keV by the uranium-238 isotope.

3. Why is the 97 keV peak important in gamma ray spectroscopy?

The 97 keV peak is important because it allows for the identification and quantification of U238 metal in a sample. This is useful in various fields, such as nuclear energy, environmental monitoring, and geological studies.

4. How is the 97 keV peak used in gamma ray spectroscopy?

The 97 keV peak is used by analyzing its intensity and energy to determine the concentration of U238 in a sample. This is done by comparing the peak to a calibration curve or using sophisticated software to analyze the spectrum.

5. Can other elements produce a 97 keV peak in gamma ray spectroscopy?

No, the 97 keV peak is specific to U238 and cannot be produced by any other element. This makes it a reliable and unique signature for the presence of U238 in a sample.