Gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent advanced physics lab experiment using a hyper-pure germanium detector to measure the energy of gamma rays released when deuterium is formed. The detector was cooled to liquid nitrogen temperatures and output pulses of varying heights, which were sorted into different channels. To associate energies to these channels, the detector was calibrated using known radioactive sources. The measurement for DF energy was consistently lower than the literature value, and the reason for this discrepancy is unknown. Possible explanations, such as recoil of the nucleus or changes in detector temperature, were considered but not confirmed.
nicholls
For my advanced physics lab course this semester, I recently conducted an experiment using a hyper-pure germanium detector to measure the energy of gamma rays released upon the formation of deuterium (DF).

Essentially, I used a neutron source to bombard a hydrogen rich target (used both paraffin wax and water) to form deuterium, and then used the detector to generate a spectrum with which I fit with a gaussian peak to measure the centroid of the suspected DF peak.

The detector was cooled to liquid nitrogen temperatures. It output a pulse of differing height depending on the energy absorbed by the crystal. These pulses were then sorted into different bins or channels depending on their height. To associate energies to these channels I needed to calibrate the detector using known radioactive sources.

I did a long run of the background room radiation and used several Bi214 peaks in the background to linearly calibrate the detector in the approximate range of DF energy (2224.57 KeV).

My measurement for DF energy for paraffin wax is 2221.7(7) KeV and for water is 2222.2(7) KeV. To obtain these values I specifically used 4 calibration peaks, fit a line to them (using their known energies) and then simply plugged the measured channel number for my measurement into the line to get the energy. I also did many other calibrations using different peaks and differing numbers of peaks and I consistently get a value of around 2221-2222 KeV but at least 4 standard deviations away from the literature value.

Does anyone have any idea why my measured value is consistently lower by about 2-3 KeV? Is there some sort of process that I may be ignoring in my analysis? I do not know a lot about nuclear physics and spectroscopy so I have no idea why this discrepancy exists.
Right now my best guess is simply a change in detector temperature between when I did my calibration and when I did the DF measurements but honestly I have no idea.

Your help would be appreciated as I'm writing a formal report on this and I would like to say something other than "I have no idea why this is 2-3 KeV different".

Physics news on Phys.org
Recoil of the nucleus?

1. What is gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation?

Gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation is a scientific technique used to study the formation of deuterons, which are nuclei of the hydrogen isotope deuterium. It involves analyzing the gamma ray emissions produced during the formation process to gain insight into the structure and properties of deuterons.

2. How does gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation work?

This technique works by bombarding a target material with high-energy particles, such as protons or alpha particles. As the particles interact with the target, they can cause the formation of deuterons, which then emit gamma rays as they transition to a lower energy state. These gamma rays are then detected and analyzed to determine characteristics of the deuterons.

3. What is the significance of studying deuteron formation using gamma ray spectroscopy?

Studying deuteron formation is important for understanding the processes that occur in the early stages of nuclear reactions. It can also provide information about the structure and properties of deuterons, which have applications in fields such as nuclear energy and astrophysics.

4. What materials are typically used in gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation?

The target materials used in this technique can vary depending on the specific research being conducted, but commonly used materials include thin foils of metals such as aluminum, copper, and gold.

5. How is data from gamma ray spectroscopy of deuteron formation analyzed and interpreted?

Data from this technique is analyzed using specialized software and techniques, such as peak fitting and gamma ray energy calibration. The resulting spectra can provide information on the energy levels and transitions of the deuterons, which can then be compared to theoretical models for interpretation.