Gamma spectroscopy regarding Cs-137

In summary, the speaker was doing a measurement on a strong Cs-137 source and noticed a peak at ~80 keV. They were able to identify the backscatter peak, Compton edge, and total absorption peak, but were confused about the ~80 keV peak. They tried with a weaker Cs-137 source and saw a 35keV peak but not the ~80keV one. After some discussion, it was determined that the ~80keV peak was caused by X-rays from the lead pig containing the intense Cs source. The speaker thanks the listener for their help in figuring it out.
abotiz
Hi,

I was doing a measurement on a Cs-137 source, strong enough so that my detector registers a sum peak.

I can't get my head around A, the peak at ~80 keV.. I get B (backscatter peak), C(compton edge) and D total abs.peak.

I tried with a weaker Cs-137 and I saw the 35keV (Ba) but no ~80keV.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Cs-137.jpg
    Cs-137.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your more intense Cs source contained in a lead pig?

Yes it is.

What are you suggesting my friend?

Wow... I Feel real stupid now.
Its the X-ray from lead (K-shell) that is 88keV.

Thank you very much!

I knew you could figure it out with a hint!

1. What is Cs-137 and why is it important in gamma spectroscopy?

Cs-137 is a radioactive isotope of the element cesium. It is important in gamma spectroscopy because it emits gamma rays, which can be measured and analyzed to identify the presence of Cs-137 in a sample.

2. How does gamma spectroscopy work and how is it used to detect Cs-137?

Gamma spectroscopy works by using a detector to measure the energy and intensity of gamma rays emitted from a sample. The characteristic energy levels of Cs-137 gamma rays can be identified, allowing for the detection and quantification of Cs-137 in a sample.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with exposure to Cs-137?

Cs-137 is a highly radioactive substance and exposure to it can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. It can also cause damage to cells and tissues in the body.

4. How is Cs-137 produced?

Cs-137 is primarily produced through nuclear fission in nuclear reactors. It can also be produced in nuclear explosions or as a byproduct of certain industrial processes.

5. Can gamma spectroscopy be used for other purposes besides detecting Cs-137?

Yes, gamma spectroscopy is a versatile analytical technique that can be used for a variety of purposes, including identifying other radioactive isotopes, analyzing the composition of materials, and studying the structure and properties of molecules and atoms.