1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Gaps in my mathematical foundations

1. Jul 6, 2017 #1
    I'm going to start my first year as a Physics major in University, so I'll be taking first year Physics with one variable Calculus with Linear Algebra. I have taken math up to Calculus but I found that I have some gaps in Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. Not any serious gaps, I know most of the fundamentals and I can still do math and physics problems pretty well without them; however, there are certain concepts or techniques that I just forgotten or didn't put that much effort into learn.

I fear that having gaps in my mathematical foundation could cause problems once I start undergrad, and I tried going back to review the basics but its so boring... I know most of it, but there are just wholes in my knowledge and some concepts I haven't practiced in a while.

I'm thinking I want to just wing it and learn new stuff over the summer rather than review and if I find that I have gaps I'll fill them along the way, but I don't know, anyone got advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2017 #2
    Honestly it sounds like you're already ahead of the curve a bit. I tend to be self-conscious about forgetting techniques and such, but I think it's best to learn what you need as you need it. I'm a huge fan of Just-In-Time learning, and it sounds like you already have a solid foundation to be able to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted