Gaps in my mathematical foundations

In summary, the person is going to start their first year as a Physics major and will be taking first year Physics with one variable Calculus and Linear Algebra. They have taken math up to Calculus but feel they have gaps in Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. They are considering learning new concepts over the summer rather than reviewing, but are seeking advice. They are also open to learning what they need as they need it, using the Just-In-Time learning approach.
Justin Huang
I'm going to start my first year as a Physics major in University, so I'll be taking first year Physics with one variable Calculus with Linear Algebra. I have taken math up to Calculus but I found that I have some gaps in Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. Not any serious gaps, I know most of the fundamentals and I can still do math and physics problems pretty well without them; however, there are certain concepts or techniques that I just forgotten or didn't put that much effort into learn.

I fear that having gaps in my mathematical foundation could cause problems once I start undergrad, and I tried going back to review the basics but its so boring... I know most of it, but there are just wholes in my knowledge and some concepts I haven't practiced in a while.

I'm thinking I want to just wing it and learn new stuff over the summer rather than review and if I find that I have gaps I'll fill them along the way, but I don't know, anyone got advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly it sounds like you're already ahead of the curve a bit. I tend to be self-conscious about forgetting techniques and such, but I think it's best to learn what you need as you need it. I'm a huge fan of Just-In-Time learning, and it sounds like you already have a solid foundation to be able to do that.

1. What are gaps in mathematical foundations?

Gaps in mathematical foundations refer to areas where a person may be lacking in their understanding or knowledge of basic mathematical concepts and principles. These gaps can hinder a person's ability to understand more complex mathematical concepts and can lead to difficulties in solving mathematical problems.

2. How do gaps in mathematical foundations occur?

Gaps in mathematical foundations can occur due to various reasons such as a lack of proper instruction or understanding during early education, insufficient practice or application of mathematical concepts, and personal learning styles that may not align with traditional teaching methods.

3. How can I identify gaps in my mathematical foundations?

One way to identify gaps in your mathematical foundations is to assess your understanding of basic mathematical concepts and principles. This can be done through self-evaluation or by seeking the guidance of a math tutor or teacher. Another way is to take a diagnostic test that can pinpoint areas of weakness in your mathematical knowledge.

4. What are the consequences of having gaps in mathematical foundations?

The consequences of having gaps in mathematical foundations can include difficulty in understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems, lower grades or test scores, and a lack of confidence in math-related tasks. It can also limit career opportunities in fields that require a strong foundation in mathematics.

5. How can I address and fill gaps in my mathematical foundations?

The best way to address and fill gaps in mathematical foundations is through targeted practice and study. This can include reviewing basic concepts and principles, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and actively engaging in problem-solving activities. It is also important to identify and address any underlying learning difficulties that may be contributing to the gaps in understanding.