Garden cart being pushed over a bump

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a garden cart loaded with firewood being pushed horizontally over a step. The mass of the cart and load, as well as the wheel diameter, are given and the question asks for the minimum horizontal force needed to get the cart over the step. The relevant equations are identified as the sum of forces and the sum of torques, with the topic being static equilibrium. One suggestion is to sketch the circular wheel touching the step and consider the moments of clockwise and counterclockwise forces. The person ultimately understands the problem and thanks the other for their help.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

A garden cart loaded with firewood is being pushed horizontally when it encounters a step 8cm high. The mass of the cart and the load is 55kg, and the cart is balanced so that its centre of mass is directly over the axle. The wheel diameter is 60cm. What is the minimum horizontal force that will get the cart up the step.

Homework Equations

I am guessing the relevant ones are
[tex]\Sigma F = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma \tau = 0[/tex]
because the topic is static equilirium

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea on where to even start this one
Answer in back of book = 500N

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the circular wheel touching the step. As the wheel begins to go up, the turning point will be its point of contact with the step. If we are going to the right, there will be a moment clockwise due to the horizontal force applied to the wheel barrow. There will be a counterclockwise moment due to the the weight of the wheel barrow. The two moments must be equal for motion to begin.

Yes I've got it. Thanks for the tip

1. What causes a garden cart to tip over when pushed over a bump?

There are a few potential reasons for a garden cart tipping over when pushed over a bump. One possibility is that the weight distribution in the cart is not balanced, causing it to become top-heavy. Another reason could be that the cart's wheels are not properly inflated, making it more difficult to navigate over bumps. Additionally, the bump itself may be too large or steep for the cart to handle.

2. How can I prevent my garden cart from tipping over when going over bumps?

To prevent your garden cart from tipping over when going over bumps, make sure to evenly distribute the weight of your load in the cart. You can also check the inflation of the cart's wheels and adjust as needed. Additionally, try to avoid large or steep bumps and instead steer the cart over smaller, more gradual bumps.

3. Is it dangerous for a garden cart to tip over when pushed over a bump?

In most cases, a garden cart tipping over when pushed over a bump is not dangerous. However, if the cart is carrying heavy or sharp objects, it could potentially cause injury to the person pushing the cart or anyone nearby. It is important to always use caution when using a garden cart and make sure to properly secure any potentially hazardous items.

4. Can I modify my garden cart to make it more stable when going over bumps?

Yes, there are a few modifications you can make to your garden cart to make it more stable when going over bumps. One option is to add weight to the bottom of the cart to lower its center of gravity. You can also invest in larger or more durable wheels to better navigate rough terrain. Additionally, consider reinforcing the cart's frame or adding additional support bars for added stability.

5. Are there any safety tips I should follow when using a garden cart?

Yes, there are a few safety tips to keep in mind when using a garden cart. Always make sure to evenly distribute the weight in the cart and avoid overloading it. When pushing the cart, keep your hands and feet away from the wheels to avoid injury. And as mentioned before, be cautious when navigating over bumps and make sure your cart is properly secured before pushing it.