Work done on a shopping cart by friction when being pushed

In summary, the shopper exerts a force of 13.1 N at an angle of 18.3 degrees, pushing a grocery cart with a mass of 19.3 kg at constant speed along a 15.1 m aisle. The coefficient of friction is 0.0658. To find the work done on the cart by friction, the force of kinetic friction should be multiplied by the displacement, which is 15.1 m. The final answer is 188 J.
juju1

Homework Statement

A grocery cart with mass of 19.3 kg is pushed at constant speed along an aisle by a shopper who exerts a force of 13.1 N on the cart at an angle of 18.3 from the horizontal. The aisle is 15.1 m long. The coefficient of friction is 0.0658.

Find the work done on the cart by friction.

Homework Equations

W=Force x displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

so I tried finding Force, and i did that by multiplying (19.3kg) by gravity (9.8)
and then multiplied that to 0.0658 to get friction force

and then multiplied that by 15.1
and then multiplied that by cos(18.3)

but it was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by drawing a force diagram and labeling what you know.

so i drew a diagram, f= Fcos(theta)

so f=12.4
and then multiply that by the distance, 15.1

and final answer is 188 J

juju1 said:
so I tried finding Force, and i did that by multiplying (19.3kg) by gravity (9.8)
and then multiplied that to 0.0658 to get friction force
To get the force of kinetic friction, the coefficient should be multiplied by what, exactly?

Please upload the diagram.

What is work done on a shopping cart?

Work done on a shopping cart refers to the energy expended to move the cart from one point to another. It takes into account the force applied and the displacement of the cart.

How is work calculated on a shopping cart?

The work done on a shopping cart can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to push the cart by the displacement it travels. This can be expressed as W = F x d, where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the displacement.

What is friction and how does it affect work done on a shopping cart?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When pushing a shopping cart, friction acts in the opposite direction of the push, decreasing the amount of work done on the cart.

How does the surface affect the work done on a shopping cart?

The type of surface the cart is being pushed on can greatly affect the work done on the cart. A smoother surface will result in less friction and therefore less work done, while a rougher surface will increase friction and require more work to move the cart.

What are some factors that can affect the work done on a shopping cart by friction?

Aside from surface type, other factors that can affect the work done on a shopping cart by friction include the weight of the cart, the force applied to push it, and any obstacles or inclines in the path of the cart.