Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gardening, what to grow this upcoming season

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    Has anyone started planning what they want to grow this upcoming season?
    I'll be trying container planting this year, with herbs, tomato and peppers. New property for me this year. Hope to have a in ground next year.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

DataGG

Gold Member

So lucky that you guys have the space to do that. Seriously, newer generations will never be able to have that much land. I know I won't!

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I myself don't have it now!

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll just try different things again, no plan. Last year the cucumbers and zucchini's worked the best. I'm going to retry watermelons and pumpkins, which didn't give any fruit last year. Tomatoes didn't give fruit until near-winter, I'll plant them earlier this year.

Maybe I'll go out today to work the ground in the containers, but I'm not sure when I should starting seeds. It's 20oC now, but one never knows.. it can freeze in March.

It will be nice to be out in the sun, I have this week off but manage to bust my knee on a table last night... there goes my plan for going out hiking this week. Sitting in the sun is not a bad replacement activity I guess..

6. Mar 10, 2014 #5
    Potatoes, carrots and tomatoes as usual. 50% of my diet consists of those 3. Peppermint as well probably.

7. Mar 10, 2014 #6
    Monique, a day of sunshin is something I haven't seen in months. Might be why i'm looking forward to warmer, snowless days.

8. Mar 10, 2014 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, you're still in the snow? We've had an unusually mild winter, I only noticed one night of frost. Well, I feel very fortunate then with this weather, I just went out to get breakfast and it felt like a midsummer day. Hopefully spring reaches you soon :smile:

9. Mar 11, 2014 #8
    More snow expected tonight. It should break records for snow totals over the course of a winter season. 72 inches so far.

10. Mar 11, 2014 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Hy

I'm ready but the weather isn't.

11. Mar 11, 2014 #10
    Hi Dlg, spent a bit of time at a nursery today, got some good ideas for container gardening. They keep upping the amount of snow expected tonight.: -(

12. Mar 11, 2014 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I will grow the usual: sweet basil, Thai basil, flat-leaf parsley, peppermint, rosemary, and oregano. I use these frequently and save a lot of money over the summer by not buying them at the supermarket.

Of course, I haven't seen the ground till a couple of days ago. It has been buried under a ton of ice and snow. Unfortunately, more is coming this evening.

Zz.

13. Mar 11, 2014 #12
    Fresh and home dried herbs are the best ! Might add the flat leaf parsley to my list.

14. Mar 11, 2014 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Just beware the poisoned seeds :devil:

15. Mar 11, 2014 #14
    Near my country home there's a farmer who grows cannabis, legally I might add...what does he use it for? He makes rope of it. Don't ask how he got to do it legally, just wonder why he isn't supplying and living in a castle xD

16. Mar 11, 2014 #15
    Are you sure he's not growing hemp...

17. Mar 17, 2014 #16
    Starting some herbs in small pots, I just can't wait anymore. Can't see ground yet, I will assume it's still under the snow.

18. Mar 17, 2014 #17

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hemp is a variety of cannabis sativa, but the varieties that are legal for agriculture produce negligible amounts of THC.

The words canvas and cannabis have the same etymological root.

But confusingly, "manilla hemp" rope is made from bananas.

19. Mar 17, 2014 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rope made from bananas?

Um......

You're not Irish are you?

20. Mar 17, 2014 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

21. Mar 17, 2014 #20

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook