Gardening, what to grow this upcoming season

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
Has anyone started planning what they want to grow this upcoming season?
I'll be trying container planting this year, with herbs, tomato and peppers. New property for me this year. Hope to have a in ground next year.

Answers and Replies

DataGG
Gold Member
So lucky that you guys have the space to do that. Seriously, newer generations will never be able to have that much land. I know I won't!

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I myself don't have it now!

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll just try different things again, no plan. Last year the cucumbers and zucchini's worked the best. I'm going to retry watermelons and pumpkins, which didn't give any fruit last year. Tomatoes didn't give fruit until near-winter, I'll plant them earlier this year.

Maybe I'll go out today to work the ground in the containers, but I'm not sure when I should starting seeds. It's 20oC now, but one never knows.. it can freeze in March.

It will be nice to be out in the sun, I have this week off but manage to bust my knee on a table last night... there goes my plan for going out hiking this week. Sitting in the sun is not a bad replacement activity I guess..

Potatoes, carrots and tomatoes as usual. 50% of my diet consists of those 3. Peppermint as well probably.

Monique, a day of sunshin is something I haven't seen in months. Might be why i'm looking forward to warmer, snowless days.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Monique, a day of sunshin is something I haven't seen in months. Might be why i'm looking forward to warmer, snowless days.
Really, you're still in the snow? We've had an unusually mild winter, I only noticed one night of frost. Well, I feel very fortunate then with this weather, I just went out to get breakfast and it felt like a midsummer day. Hopefully spring reaches you soon :smile:

More snow expected tonight. It should break records for snow totals over the course of a winter season. 72 inches so far.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Hy

I'm ready but the weather isn't.

Hi Dlg, spent a bit of time at a nursery today, got some good ideas for container gardening. They keep upping the amount of snow expected tonight.: -(

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Has anyone started planning what they want to grow this upcoming season?
I'll be trying container planting this year, with herbs, tomato and peppers. New property for me this year. Hope to have a in ground next year.
I will grow the usual: sweet basil, Thai basil, flat-leaf parsley, peppermint, rosemary, and oregano. I use these frequently and save a lot of money over the summer by not buying them at the supermarket.

Of course, I haven't seen the ground till a couple of days ago. It has been buried under a ton of ice and snow. Unfortunately, more is coming this evening.

Zz.

Fresh and home dried herbs are the best ! Might add the flat leaf parsley to my list.

Borek
Mentor
Just beware the poisoned seeds :devil:

Near my country home there's a farmer who grows cannabis, legally I might add...what does he use it for? He makes rope of it. Don't ask how he got to do it legally, just wonder why he isn't supplying and living in a castle xD

Are you sure he's not growing hemp...

Starting some herbs in small pots, I just can't wait anymore. Can't see ground yet, I will assume it's still under the snow.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Are you sure he's not growing hemp...
Hemp is a variety of cannabis sativa, but the varieties that are legal for agriculture produce negligible amounts of THC.

The words canvas and cannabis have the same etymological root.

But confusingly, "manilla hemp" rope is made from bananas.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Hemp is a variety of cannabis sativa, but the varieties that are legal for agriculture produce negligible amounts of THC.

The words canvas and cannabis have the same etymological root.

But confusingly, "manilla hemp" rope is made from bananas.
Rope made from bananas?

Um......

You're not Irish are you?

OmCheeto
Gold Member
All this hemp rope talk reminds me of listening to Legend of the USS Titanic on the underground music program Beaker Street.
:bugeye:

My knowledge of the history of the Titanic was obviously, severely lacking. Thank you.

ps. Last weekend, I picked up packets of seeds of Russian Kale, 2 kinds of snow peas, and one random pack of heritage tomatoes.

Hi,
I am going to get 2 bags of miracle grow, lay them flat on saw horses, slit a rectangle in the bag and try and grow leaf lettuce. I have groundhogs so I have to keep this off the ground.
First time trying to grow something on my own.
Wish me luck. Won't be able to begin till after Memorial Day.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
I am going to get 2 bags of miracle grow, lay them flat on saw horses, slit a rectangle in the bag and try and grow leaf lettuce. I have groundhogs so I have to keep this off the ground.
First time trying to grow something on my own.
Wish me luck. Won't be able to begin till after Memorial Day.
Interesting setup, and a creative way to beat those groundhogs! I presume you're laying plywood (or something similar) between the sawhorses?

I'd like to see photos, if you have them :smile:.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is a picture attached of how it is supposed to look. Hope I attached it correctly.
Wow, that's so cool - I really like it. I think you'll have a great crop!