Gas considered as lots of molecules

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Molecules
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 9K views
anirudh215 said:
... how do I [we?] learn further from here?
Another, shorter-term suggestion for you:

Besides Physics Forums, you could look online at wikipedia or hyperphysics. A few topics to look for are:

The Schrödinger Equation (the time-dependent and also time-independent versions)
wavefunctions
eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and eigenfunctions​

These are some of the fundamental building blocks to learning quantum mechanics.

As for me, if I had the time I'd probably look for journal articles dealing with the possible measurements we have been discussing here. But my current, personal interests are to learn more about electric motors, power generation, and thermodynamics.

Good luck to you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
Another, shorter-term suggestion for you:

Besides Physics Forums, you could look online at wikipedia or hyperphysics. A few topics to look for are:

The Schrödinger Equation (the time-dependent and also time-independent versions)
wavefunctions
eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and eigenfunctions​

These are some of the fundamental building blocks to learning quantum mechanics.

I know what eigenvalues/ functions are. My Linear Algebra is not too bad and getting better. I don't know much about the other two though. I'll look into those. I am currently to learn about classical statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics and that is where all these questions popped up from. Texts always seem to leave many holes in my understanding.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for all your help! Does anyone else have comments on this?