1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas pressure in gravitational field from the partition function

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see P2 in http://panda.unm.edu/pandaweb/graduate/prelims/SM_S09.pdf

"Starting with [itex]\mathbb{Z} (z_1,z_2)[/itex] above, derive expressions for the gas pressure..."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To find the pressure at the top and the bottom of the gas column, I tried to use [tex]F=-kT\ln \mathbb{Z}[/tex], where F is the free energy, and [tex]P=-\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V}\right)_T[/tex] by writing [itex]h=\frac{V}{A}[/itex] and got a horrible expression. So I don't think that is the way to go for a timed exam. Moreover, I'm not sure how I can get the pressure at a specific height from that.

Now, I'm thinking about starting from the probability [itex]p=\frac{exp[-\beta (\frac{p^2}{2m}+mgz)]}{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], which directly gives the number of particles at height z. But how can I get the pressure from that?

The second part where I have to calculate the pressure at the top given the pressure at the bottom looks easier though, since I have the pressure at the bottom as a reference point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    I think I got it. Integrate [tex]p=exp[-\beta (\frac{p^2}{2m}+mgz)][/tex] along all three momenta, x and y coordinates, and all particle but one. Then I get the probability of a particle to be at height z. From there, I can get the number of particles at height z, and then the force and the pressure.

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    It seems like it's easier to just write Z as an integral over 6N dimensional phase space, do the integrals over p and q. All that's left is a function of z1 and z2, then try using the thermodynamic derivatives to give you the pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted