Gauss Law and a hollow spherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric field in different regions for a hollow spherical shell with charge density \rho = \frac{k}{r^2}. For r < a, the electric field is 0 as there is no enclosed charge. For a < r < b, the enclosed charge is given by q_{enc} = k\left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{r}\right) and the electric field is calculated using the formula E (4 \pi r^2) = \frac{k}{epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{r}\right). For r > b, a similar approach is taken, but the integral
stunner5000pt
A hollow spherical shell carries a charge density
[tex] \rho = \frac{k}{r^2} [/tex]

in the region a<= r <= b. As in the figure
Find the elctric field in these three regions
i) r <a
ii) a<r<b
iii) r>b

SOlution:
for r<a it simple.. no exclosed charge for any gaussian sphere within that region so E = 0

for a<r<b
the thing which stumps is the charge density... isn't charge density given in coulombs per cubic metre usually??

what I am concerned about in the enclosed charge in teh gaussian sphere of radius a<r<b... would i integrate rho from r' = a to r' = r??

rho dot dr would give the total charge enclosed, no??

doing that gives
[tex] q_{enc} = k\left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{r}\right) [/tex]

[tex] E (4 \pi r^2) = \frac{k}{epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{r}\right)

for the third part that is r>b would i do something similar but integrate from r' =a to r'=b??

Please help!

Help is always greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• noise.JPG
    noise.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
for a<r<b
the thing which stumps is the charge density... isn't charge density given in coulombs per cubic metre usually??
Absolutely. Which means that k has what units?

what I am concerned about in the enclosed charge in teh gaussian sphere of radius a<r<b... would i integrate rho from r' = a to r' = r??
Yes.

rho dot dr would give the total charge enclosed, no??
No! An element of charge would be rho dV, not rho dr. rho is the charge density per unit volume.

Doc Al said:
Absolutely. Which means that k has what units?

No! An element of charge would be rho dV, not rho dr. rho is the charge density per unit volume.

so K has units of C/m

so i should be integrating rho dV but still r'=a to r'=r

thanks for the help

stunner5000pt said:
so K has units of C/m

so i should be integrating rho dV but still r'=a to r'=r
Yes and yes.

1. What is Gauss Law and how does it apply to a hollow spherical shell?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the charge distribution. For a hollow spherical shell, Gauss Law states that the electric field inside the shell is zero, while the electric field outside the shell is equivalent to that of a point charge located at the center of the sphere.

2. How can Gauss Law be used to determine the electric field inside a hollow spherical shell?

To determine the electric field inside a hollow spherical shell, we can use Gauss Law in integral form. This involves drawing a Gaussian surface inside the shell and using the fact that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface to simplify the integral. The result will be that the electric field is equal to zero inside the shell.

3. What is the significance of a closed surface in Gauss Law?

A closed surface is a surface that completely surrounds a charge distribution and is used in Gauss Law to calculate the electric field. This is because the electric field at any point on the surface is perpendicular to the surface, making the integral easier to solve. Additionally, the closed surface must enclose the entire charge distribution in order for Gauss Law to be valid.

4. How does the electric field change as we move farther away from a hollow spherical shell?

As we move farther away from a hollow spherical shell, the electric field decreases in magnitude according to the inverse square law. This means that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the charge is spread out over a larger surface area as we move away, resulting in a weaker electric field.

5. Can Gauss Law be applied to other shapes besides a hollow spherical shell?

Yes, Gauss Law can be applied to any shape as long as the charge distribution is known and the closed surface encloses the entire charge distribution. This allows us to simplify the calculation of the electric field and is a useful tool in solving complex electrostatic problems.