How Is Charge Distributed in a Conductor with an Internal Cavity?

In summary, the net charge on the outer surface of an isolated conductor with a net charge of +10\times10^{-6}C and a cavity containing a point charge of q = +3\times10^{-6}C is +13\times10^{-6}C. This is because the charge on the cavity wall is equal to the negative of the charge on the inner surface, and subtracting this inner charge from the net charge on the conductor is the same as adding the enclosed charge. Drawing a Gaussian surface allows you to deduce the charge on the inner surface, but it does not create the charge. Depending on where the Gaussian surface is drawn, the net charge enclosed may be zero or equal to the point charge
Air
1. The Question
An isolated conductor of arbitrary shape has a net charge of [tex]+10\times10^{-6}[/tex]C. Inside the conductor is a cavity within which is a point charge [tex]q = +3\times10^{-6}[/tex]C. What is the charge on the outer surface of the conductor?

2. The attempt at a solution
On cavity wall: [tex]q=-q=-3\times10^{-6}[/tex]C
On outer surface: Net Charge + Charge Inside Cavity [tex]=+13\times10^{-6}[/tex]C

3. The problem I encounter
All books I have read say that to calculate on the outer surface it's the net charge minus the charge on cavity wall. Why is it this and not how I did it which is Net Charge + Charge Inside Cavity? Surely, the charge on the cavity wall is only there when we draw the Gaussian surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:
3. The problem I encounter
All books I have read say that to calculate on the outer surface it's the net charge minus the charge on cavity wall. Why is it this and not how I did it which is Net Charge + Charge Inside Cavity?
Net charge on the conductor equals the sum of the charges on its inner and outer surfaces, Qnet = Qouter + Qinner. But Qinner + Qcavity = 0, thus Qinner = -Qcavity. Thus subtracting the inner charge is the same thing as adding the enclosed charge.
Surely, the charge on the cavity wall is only there when we draw the Gaussian surface.
Drawing the Gaussian surface allows you to deduce the charge on the inner surface, it doesn't create the charge. The charge doesn't know anything about what you draw or don't draw!

Is the charge enclosed in the Gaussian Surface zero or [tex]q = +3\times10^{-6}[/tex]C?

Air said:
Is the charge enclosed in the Gaussian Surface zero or [tex]q = +3\times10^{-6}[/tex]C?
That depends on where you draw your Gaussian surface. Assuming your Gaussian surface is within the conducting material, then the net charge enclosed will be zero.

On the other hand, if you drew a Gaussian surface in the cavity but surrounding the point charge, the charge enclosed will equal that point charge.

Doc Al said:
That depends on where you draw your Gaussian surface. Assuming your Gaussian surface is within the conducting material, then the net charge enclosed will be zero.

On the other hand, if you drew a Gaussian surface in the cavity but surrounding the point charge, the charge enclosed will equal that point charge.

So, Am I correct to think that between the Cavity wall and the end of the conducting material, there is no field because charge enclosed is zero hence deriving the electric field through Gauss law would give zero electric field?

Air said:
So, Am I correct to think that between the Cavity wall and the end of the conducting material, there is no field because charge enclosed is zero hence deriving the electric field through Gauss law would give zero electric field?
I would look at it the other way around. Since everywhere within the conducting material the electrostatic field is zero, any Gaussian surface contained within the conducting material must enclose zero net charge.

What is Gauss Law?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss Law written mathematically?

The mathematical representation of Gauss Law is ∮E·dA = Q/ε0, where ∮E·dA is the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the charge enclosed by that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the relationship between charge and electric fields?

Charge and electric fields have an inverse relationship. Electric fields are created by charged particles, and the strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the charge increases. Similarly, the electric field is stronger when the charge is larger and weaker when the charge is smaller.

What is a cavity in relation to Gauss Law?

A cavity in Gauss Law refers to a void or empty space enclosed by a closed surface. When calculating the electric flux through a closed surface, the charge enclosed by the surface does not include any charge inside the cavity. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and therefore, it does not contribute to the electric flux through the surface.

Can Gauss Law be applied to all situations?

No, Gauss Law can only be applied to situations where the electric fields are constant and uniform. This means that the electric field must have the same magnitude and direction at every point on the surface. If the electric field is not constant or if the surface is not closed, Gauss Law cannot be applied.