1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' law which formula to use

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how do I know which equation to use for electric field? E=a/2e0 or E=a/e0 when a = surface charge density.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    first one is for single surface of a charged sheet ... when it is accompanied by another it changes to the second one (therefore it is twice of it)

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    I looked in my physics book and they use the formula E=a/2e0 when there is only one nonconducting sheet. The picture they show is a cylinder which is the Gaussian surface going through the sheet with both ends outside of the sheet. When they use the formula E=a/e0 half of the Gaussian surface is within the sheet so only one end of the cylinder is sticking ouside the sheet. I don't understand how making the changing the Gaussian surface like this would result in one answer for the electric field being only half the other. Shouldn't the electric field be the same no matter what you use for the Gaussian surface?

thank you for your reply earlier

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the electric field within a conducting material?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook