Gauss' Law: Understand How to Calculate Flux

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sayuri2009
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
Gauss Law for flux
Relevant Equations
flux = Integration E ds = Q / e0
Hello everybody

To calculate the flux for the electric field I need the gauss law. There are two formula one with the integration over some area and the other is Q/e0. When do I have to use which one?
1609694547736.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sayuri2009 said:
Homework Statement:: Gauss Law for flux
Relevant Equations:: flux = Integration E ds = Q / e0

Hello everybody

To calculate the flux for the electric field I need the gauss law. There are two formula one with the integration over some area and the other is Q/e0. When do I have to use which one?
View attachment 275550
I depends on what is given to you. If you know the electric field, you do the integral to find the flux. If you know the charge enclosed by the surface, you divide that charge by ε0 and you have the flux through the surface.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sayuri2009