Gaussian cylinder in the finite case

In summary, for a long coaxial metal cylindrical tube with radii a and b and length L, where a and b are much smaller than L and a<b, with inner cylinder given charge +Q and outer cylinder given charge -Q, using Gauss' Law we can compute the electric field for all r between a and b. By placing the Gaussian cylinder far from the ends of the tube, we can ignore the ends and the electric field can be calculated using the enclosed charge Q_{enc}=\frac{Q\lambda}{L}. In cylindrical coordinates, the electric field is \textbf{E}=\frac{Q}{2\pi L\epsilon_0 r}\boldsymbol{\hat r}. The restrictions for the Gaussian
hatsoff

Homework Statement

Consider two long coaxial metal cylindrical tubes, with radii a and b and length L. (You may assume a,b<<L. Also a<b.) Suppose the inner cylinder is given a charge +Q and the outer cylinder a charge -Q.

Using Gauss' Law, compute the electric field for all r between a and b.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law, the usual Gaussian surface stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the textbook recommends, I put my Gaussian cylinder far from the ends of the tube. So for a<r<b the enclosed charge is

[tex]Q_{\text{enc}}=\frac{Q\lambda}{L},[/tex]

where lambda << L is the length of the Gaussian cylinder. So by Gauss' law,

[tex]2\pi r\lambda|\textbf{E}|\approx\oint_{\text{surface}} \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{a}=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}Q_{\text{enc}}= \frac{Q\lambda}{L\epsilon_0},[/tex]

(What about the ends?) Therefore in cylindrical coordinates

[tex]\textbf{E}=\frac{Q}{2\pi L\epsilon_0 r}\boldsymbol{\hat r}[/tex]

My questions:

(1) Why do we get to ignore the ends? Or do we get to ignore the ends?

(2) I'm not really sure what the restrictions are for the Gaussian cylinder when the case is finite as opposed to infinite. If we don't put it at the very center of the wire(s)/tube(s)/whatever, then doesn't that ruin symmetry? And even if we just put it far from the edges, then it seems like we can't say anything about those edges, i.e. we can only calculate the electric field at points far from the edges of the wire(s)/tube(s).

I guess I just don't understand the physical interpretation behind the math, and it's giving me trouble. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi hatsoff! :smile:
hatsoff said:
Consider two long …

(1) Why do we get to ignore the ends? Or do we get to ignore the ends?

in an exam question, "long" always means that you can treat it as infinite :wink:
(2) I'm not really sure what the restrictions are for the Gaussian cylinder when the case is finite as opposed to infinite. If we don't put it at the very center of the wire(s)/tube(s)/whatever, then doesn't that ruin symmetry?

you won't be asked about that

but yes, you're right … the field lines will be bent slightly out of shape, and difficult to calculate :smile:

1. What is a Gaussian cylinder in the finite case?

A Gaussian cylinder in the finite case is a geometric shape that is created by taking a cylinder and cutting off both ends at a certain distance from the center. This results in a finite cylinder with two flat, circular ends.

2. What is the significance of studying Gaussian cylinders in the finite case?

Studying Gaussian cylinders in the finite case allows us to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a confined space. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science.

3. How is a Gaussian cylinder in the finite case different from an infinite cylinder?

A Gaussian cylinder in the finite case has a finite length, while an infinite cylinder has an infinite length. This results in differences in the electric and magnetic fields inside and outside the cylinder.

4. What is the formula for calculating the electric field inside a Gaussian cylinder in the finite case?

The formula for calculating the electric field inside a Gaussian cylinder in the finite case is E = λ/2πε₀r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

5. How do Gaussian cylinders in the finite case behave in the presence of a magnetic field?

In the presence of a magnetic field, Gaussian cylinders in the finite case exhibit a phenomenon known as diamagnetism. This means that they experience a weak repulsion from the magnetic field, causing them to slightly deform in shape.