Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian Normal Coordinates

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    What are Gaussian Normal Coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gaussian normal coordinates have a metric of the form

[tex]
    ds^2 = -dt^2 + g_{ij} dx^i dx^j
    [/tex]

This implies that:

1) the t coordinate measures proper time of "stationary" observers, i.e. observers with constant spatial coordinates.

2) the time coordinate is orthogonal to the space coordinates (more precisely, the vector [itex]\partial / \partial t[/itex] is orthogonal to all of the vectors [itex]\partial / \partial x^i[/itex] )

These are also known as synchronous coordinates, a common example from cosmology is comvoing coordinates.

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

There are various kinds of "normal coordinates" used in Riemannian geometry (positive definite metric tensors) and semi-Riemannian geometry (allows indefinite metric tensors, such as occur in Lorentzian manifolds as used in general relativity).

In Riemannian geometry, the idea is to fix a point P and to construct a chart in which metric tensor assumes the usual flat space Euclidean form at P, with the Christoffel coefficients and first partials of the metric components all vanishing at P, so that the quadratic deviation of the metric at points near P are given in terms of the components of the curvature tensor at P. It is important to understand that such charts are not unique; what is important is that near P, the metric can be approximated by the curvature components at P. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_normal_coordinates

In general relativity, Riemann normal coordinates are often used as a technical device in various places, and Fermi normal coordinates are also useful at times. See section 3.1-3.2 of http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2004-6/title.html#articlese3.html for more about Riemann and Fermi normal coordinates.

I've only seen that usage in the book by Wheeler and Cuifolini, Inertia and Gravitation. Most people would just call these synchronous coordinates.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  5. Jan 5, 2007 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

MTW uses it too, that's where I looked it up. (See pg 717).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  6. Jan 6, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Here I stand, corrected, not unlike a normal vector on a surface

So they do! Thanks for reminding me.

7. Jan 7, 2007 #6
    While we're on this topic, what are orthogonal curvilinear coordinates? I briefly encountered them a while ago & learned to take gradients etc, but i'm looking for a more detailed treatment.

8. Jan 8, 2007 #7

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

In this context, an "orthogonal chart" probably means a chart in which the metric appears "diagonalized", e.g. the Schwarzschild chart is diagonalized but the Eddington chart is not (because of the "cross-terms" du \, dr, which signify that the coordinate vectors are "skew", i.e. non-orthogonal).

Many models, e.g. the Kerr vacuum, possess no "diagonal" charts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?